Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

June 27th, 2014 14:00

Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9.0

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an on-demand scanner that combines both an anti-virus (Ikarus) and an anti-malware engine. It includes removal and quarantine capability, and is free for home use. Version 9.0.0.4142 FINAL was recently released.

It is available for download as a 30-day free trial of the paid version which includes real-time protection. Emsisoft claims it will not conflict with your existing real-time AV or security programs. I cannot vouch for this claim, as I have only used the free scanner on-demand for many years (with few false positives, or other problems). Existing users will note that it auto-updates to the latest version internally. Others can download the trial version here:
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/#scroll_1

It is compatible with all Windows operating systems from XP onwards, both 32 and 64 bit (Vista and later), with the latest service pack installed. It is suggested to have at least I GB of RAM.

Details of improvements in version 9.0x, and screenshots of the GUI are posted here:
http://blog.emsisoft.com/2014/06/18/emsisoft-anti-malware-9-released/

Comments:

I've liked Emsisoft for years, and it comes well-recommended (bleepingcomputer, for example). It always scores well in AV-Comparatives Real-World Detection Tests (99% in the latest May test, with no false positives - this was for version 8.1).

This latest version 9.0 comes with a clean tiled GUI, which is intuitive and simple to use. Updating signatures  and versions can take a few minutes, depending on the time since your last update, and a restart of the program/system might be required. As a rule, I generally only run a Quick Scan about once a month, when all is well.

A Quick Scan took 75 sec on my XP, and only 27 sec on my Win 7.
A Smart Scan took 45 min on XP, and 36 min on Win 7. (This is the scan Emsisoft recommends, as it scans vulnerable areas, but I rarely see a need to run it).

Summary:

I'm not a fan of obsessive scanning, but do think Emsisoft Free belongs in your toolbox as a "second opinion" scanner for that rainy day when things just don't seem right. This latest version is highly recommended.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

June 28th, 2014 09:00

I gave it a try joe. It downloaded and installed OK. The Smart Scan ran up to 60% and 57782 items rather quickly on Step 4, and then stayed there for 2-3 minutes...making me think it had hung. But then it resumed scanning at a much slower pace and it took about 85 minutes to complete the scan.

However, when I booted up this morning, it took a long time to bring up my desktop...it remained on the blank "green" screen background for a couple of minutes before the desktop stuff started to appear, with multiple roll ups in the tray area saying that Emisoft was "verifying" this and that program. When the icon for MBAM Pro didn't show up in the tray, I went to the notification area of Taskbar Properties, it showed the MBAM icon  as a past item and I could not get it to show. Not knowing what, if any conflict was going on, I decided to uninstall it.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

June 28th, 2014 12:00

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Dale, and trust you have been able to restore MBAM.

I have not tested the full real-time test version of EAM in years. It obviously had some conflict with your resident security, despite Emsisoft's claim to the contrary. They state : "It’s a popular myth that you shouldn’t run two antivirus programs at the same time. We have spent considerable time building Emsisoft Anti-Malware in a way that makes it compatible with almost all other antivirus programs!" Well, "almost all" didn't work for you, and I still believe in adhering to the one resident AV only policy.

For others contemplating testing EAM 9.0, I would suggest that during the installation they disable its real-time protection, and ensure that EAM does not load during startup. As a paid program, it is not on my A list for resident protection in any event. I only recommend it as a backup scanner, and perhaps should have emphasized this more in my post.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

June 28th, 2014 17:00

Another possibility is that in addition to MBAM Pro, I have Avira as my resident antivirus. Since the free trial of Emisoft had the active protection enabled temporarily for a month, that probably caused the conflict, whereas just using it as an alternate scanner might not cause any problems. I might give it a another go, since it did a thorough scan.

No Events found!