Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 11th, 2007 10:00

Free McAfee Home Edition from AOL

Does anyone know how long the license is valid? How does free McAfee Home Edition compare with Free AVG and Avast Home Edition?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

October 11th, 2007 10:00

Regardless of how long the license is for, the general consensus here is that anything bearing the McAfee (or Symantec/Norton) name(s) should be avoided  [with the possible exception of McAfee SiteAdvisor, which is getting "mixed" reviews].

The AVG license has no time limitations on it [except that AVG has recently announced that it will no longer support the older Win 98, ME, NT systems after Aug. 2008].
The Avast license is for one year [at a time]... but at the end of that year, you can simply [and freely] renew it for another year.
In addition to AVG and Avast, another free anti-virus to look into is Avira's Antivir. 

forum member Joe53 has tested all thee, and recommends AntiVir, Avast, and AVG ---- in this order.

966 Posts

October 11th, 2007 11:00

I certainly have resevations when it comes to AOL

You might find this artilcle interesting.

43 Posts

October 11th, 2007 11:00

@ky331 wrote:
Regardless of how long the license is for, the general consensus here is that anything bearing the McAfee (or Symantec/Norton) name(s) should be avoided [with the possible exception of McAfee SiteAdvisor, which is getting "mixed" reviews].
The AVG license has no time limitations on it [except that AVG has recently announced that it will no longer support the older Win 98, ME, NT systems after Aug. 2008].
The Avast license is for one year [at a time]... but at the end of that year, you can simply [and freely] renew it for another year.
In addition to AVG and Avast, another free anti-virus to look into is Avira's Antivir.
forum member Joe53 has tested all thee, and recommends AntiVir, Avast, and AVG ---- in this order.

Well this what I also though but I don't know why Dell ships with trialware version of McAfee.

There is some problem with updates for Avira and also the pop up window. Has anybody found a solution to these issues?

Message Edited by se224141 on 10-11-2007 02:06 PM

107 Posts

October 11th, 2007 17:00

se224141 wrote:

Well this what I also though but I don't know why Dell ships with trialware version of McAfee.

It ships with a trial version because McAfee provides them with it and probably pays them a fee to include it with all new PCs in the hopes that the consumer won't realize there's better (and free) solutions out there.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

October 12th, 2007 00:00

se224141 wrote:

"There is some problem with updates for Avira and also the pop up window. Has anybody found a solution to these issues?"

I haven't seen any problems with updating Avira's AntiVir- can you provide a link, or more info?

As for the pop-ups, these are harmless blurbs promoting an upgrade to the AntiVir paid version, and cannot be eliminated if one wishes to use the free version. A bit of a nuisance, but a small price to pay for a superior free AV, IMHO.

43 Posts

October 12th, 2007 05:00

@joe53 wrote:
@se224141 wrote:
"There is some problem with updates for Avira and also the pop up window. Has anybody found a solution to these issues?"
I haven't seen any problems with updating Avira's AntiVir- can you provide a link, or more info?
As for the pop-ups, these are harmless blurbs promoting an upgrade to the AntiVir paid version, and cannot be eliminated if one wishes to use the free version. A bit of a nuisance, but a small price to pay for a superior free AV, IMHO.

I found some details here http://listserv.unl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=HELP-NET

Also I have see some remarks on alt.comp.anti-virus

Currently I am using Avast Home Edition. It looks like a full featured for home users. I would love to switch over to AntiVir. How rich is Antivir classic feature wise for home users? At their forum, I found issues with uninstalling it. That is why I am reluctant to switch over to AntiVir.

What is your view uninstalling it? I hope it not like Norton which is pain in neck to remove.

BTW I found the tick to block popup window. See please http://www.habibbijan.com/2007/08/15/make-avira-antivir-free-edition-more-usable/

Message Edited by se224141 on 10-12-2007 08:54 AM

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

October 12th, 2007 22:00

se224141:

"How rich is Antivir classic feature wise for home users?"
For a good review comparing all the features of the free versions of AntiVir, Avast, and AVG anti-virus, see this: http://wiki.castlecops.com/AntiVirus_Comparison

I have used all three, and continue to recommend them all. Avira's product does not offer a boot scan option- apart from that I find it full featured. (It also lacks email scanning- however this is an unnecessary and problematic option I do not recommend anyone use, regardless of their AV). Note that any comments comparing the virus detection rates are based on tests of the paid, not the free, versions of these AVs.

"What is your view uninstalling it? I hope it not like Norton which is pain in neck to remove."
I can state that I had no problems uninstalling any of these 3 free versions, most recently Avira's AntiVir, via Add/Remove programs. No special uninstaller to download. (Unlike NAV or McAfee). I have since re-installed Avira and used it as a backup AV (on-demand) scanner without problems.

As far as other problems go- I had very few with any of these 3 free AVs. All have a good user-to-user support forum, where one can likely solve any problems encountered.

Bottom line: I wouldn't hesitate to try any of these, and choose the one you like best.

Thanks for the link to the info on killing the Avira splash screen. (Another minor irritant gone!)
--------------------------------------------
Edit: That review is a bit dated. Avira's free AntiVir does indeed include a boot scan option, and is now compatible with Vista.

Message Edited by joe53 on 10-12-2007 08:15 PM

43 Posts

October 13th, 2007 03:00

@joe53 wrote:
se224141:
"How rich is Antivir classic feature wise for home users?"
For a good review comparing all the features of the free versions of AntiVir, Avast, and AVG anti-virus, see this: http://wiki.castlecops.com/AntiVirus_Comparison
I have used all three, and continue to recommend them all. Avira's product does not offer a boot scan option- apart from that I find it full featured. (It also lacks email scanning- however this is an unnecessary and problematic option I do not recommend anyone use, regardless of their AV). Note that any comments comparing the virus detection rates are based on tests of the paid, not the free, versions of these AVs.
"What is your view uninstalling it? I hope it not like Norton which is pain in neck to remove."
I can state that I had no problems uninstalling any of these 3 free versions, most recently Avira's AntiVir, via Add/Remove programs. No special uninstaller to download. (Unlike NAV or McAfee). I have since re-installed Avira and used it as a backup AV (on-demand) scanner without problems.
As far as other problems go- I had very few with any of these 3 free AVs. All have a good user-to-user support forum, where one can likely solve any problems encountered.
Bottom line: I wouldn't hesitate to try any of these, and choose the one you like best.
Thanks for the link to the info on killing the Avira splash screen. (Another minor irritant gone!)
--------------------------------------------
Edit: That review is a bit dated. Avira's free AntiVir does indeed include a boot scan option, and is now compatible with Vista.

Message Edited by joe53 on 10-12-2007 08:15 PM

Thanx Joe53. I will be out of my home town for 2 months from tomorrow onwards and it is not wise to disturb my home computer today as my wife and son can't manage any problem if it arises during my absence. Upon return the first thing that I plan to do is to switch over to AntiVir from Avast and see how it goes.

43 Posts

October 21st, 2007 13:00

I installed AntiVir and even though I am away from my home computer it is working perfectly fine. I could disable nag window also.

Is there any advantage of installing Nortan Security Scan through google pack in conjection with AntiVir?

What is your opinion Joe?

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

October 21st, 2007 21:00

According to Norton, there should be no conflict between their Security Scan and any other software:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2007031405260913

Presumably this includes AntiVir.

However, you asked my opinion, and I have to say that I don't use or recommend any software from either Google, or from Norton. (I do, of course, use Google's web search- I just don't use their toolbar). I have no opinion on Norton's Security Scan, which I haven't tried. It appears to be a general-purpose anti-malware app. I would test it if I were able to download it independently of Google Pack, but it appears it only comes bundled.

From the Google Pack EULA (emphasis added):
-----------------------------------
"TERMS & CONDITIONS

Welcome to Google! This software will be installed using the Google Updater, which is included in the Google Pack...

Protecting users' privacy is very important to Google and the Third Parties.  As a condition of downloading and using the Software, you agree to the terms of the Google Pack Privacy Policy at http://pack.google.com/intl/en/policy_info.html?hl=en&gl=ca, which may be updated from time to time and without noticeInformation collected by Google or Third Parties in connection with your use of the Software may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Google, its agents, the Third Parties or their agents maintain facilities.

Accordingly, by using the Software you consent to any transfer of such information outside of your countryYou acknowledge and agree that Google and/or Third Parties may access, preserve, and disclose your account information if required to do so by law or in a good faith belief that such access preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, (b) enforce these Terms and Conditions, including investigation of potential violations hereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues (including, without limitation, the filtering of spam), (d) respond to user support requests, or (e) protect the rights, property or safety of Google, its users, Third Parties, their users, and the public.  Neither Google nor any Third Party will be responsible or liable for the exercise or non-exercise of rights under these Terms and Conditions...

The Software may communicate with Google servers and/or Third Party servers from time to time to check for available updates to the Software, such as bug fixes, patches, enhanced functions, missing plug-ins and new versions (collectively, "Updates" ).  By installing the Software, you agree to automatically request and receive Updates."
--------------------------------------------------------------

For me, it's a privacy issue- I don't trust Google.

No Events found!