Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2009 01:00

Hi need help RE how safe image file is from virus and etc

Hi someone who has 24/7 access to my computer(family member so i cannot stop access) has implanted something on my computer to steal information. I am planning to do a image restore studio 15 laptop. My question is how safe is the image file from being corrupted assuming my attacker has no programming knowledge whatsoever. And if the virus is hiding in "RECOVERY" hard drive will it still be there after image restore. I've already searched the forums and read the FAQs in this section but they don't provide the answer i need. A link to a relevant article would suffice.

Thanks  

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

March 11th, 2009 11:00

On the one hand, you assert that your "attacker has no programming knowledge whatsoever" --- while on the other hand insisting that he/she nonetheless "has implanted something on my computer to steal information".

Unfortunately, as long as more than one person has access to a computer [be it physical access or remote access], I don't know that there's any way for each person to be sure that the other is not "spying" on him/her.

Please don't take what i'm about to say the wrong way... but even if we knew details of the specific "spy" program being used, we would not be able to assist you in a "domestic dispute":   We have no way of knowing whether a person who writes-in here is the child/innocent spouse/employee who is trying to circumvent "protection"/restrictions/"spying" placed on the machine by their parent/spouse/employer, or the latter (who, aside from the "prying" spouse, may have the legal authority to do so).

2 Posts

March 12th, 2009 02:00

Sorry for not being clear enough. What happened is this idiot who doesn't know how to program codes and stuff is using google to find help. Naturally my anti virus finds a few virus and now I want to reformat just to be safe. But i don't know if it is possible for something to be hiding in the RECOVERY drive or in the image file stored on my hard drive. I am a total noob myself so i decided to ask people who know(i've already tried the dell community search but nothing really pops up) . 

I only mentioned 24/7 access because well I've seen some website this person has accessed and found some boot programs you put on the usb stick and such. But i googled some more and now have a BIOS pw so yea nevermind that point :emotion-4:

No Events found!