Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

May 25th, 2015 12:00

HitmanPro.Alert 3.x Review

I have previously reviewed hereabouts the free HitmanPro.Alert (HMPA) 2.0, and must say that after almost 2 years it has given me no grief on my Win 7 system. No slowdowns, no conflicts. Just to recap, it is a free tool that checks the browser integrity and alerts users when secure online banking and shopping is no longer guaranteed. At that time (2013), there were reports of possible conflicts with MBAE, and/or EMET, resulting in various problems, but as I don't use those programs, I did not see these glitches. Suffice it to say that I generally use security programs until they cause me grief - and version 2.0 never did.

It was with some trepidation that I decided to try out version 3.x. I was persuaded to do so because of a report from MRG Effitas (March, 2015) where HMPA 3.x compared favorably to both EMET and MBAE in preventing drive-by exploits and zero-day exploits. I would note that
1) these tests were sponsored by SurfRight, the vendor of HMPA 3, and
2) the paid version of HMPA only was evaluated.
www.mrg-effitas.com/.../MRG_Effitas_Real_world_exploit_prevention_test.pdf

That said, HMPA 3 is still available in a free version. It purports to offer protection that exceeds HMPA 2.  A comparison list between v2 and v3 can be seen here (including what is excluded in the free v3):
www.wilderssecurity.com/.../hmpa-version-comparison-png.246705

The free v3 adds
-keystroke encryption
- webcam notification of secret access
- network lockdown
- blocks malicious USB devices

The free v3 removes the CryptoGuard Ransomware protection present in v2.
Also excluded in the free version are:
- Exploit mitigations
- Process Protection
- Active system Vaccination
- On-demand Malware Detection and remediation

I tested v3 on a Win 7 sp1 Home Premium x64 desktop, fully up-to-date from MS and 3rd parties. I first uninstalled HMPA 2 (uneventfully) using the surfright uninstall tool from:
dl.surfright.nl/hmpalert-uninstall_x64.exe
Restarted the system.

Results:

1)Download: 3.87 MB, for version 3.0.41.187

2) Installation:

No bundled junkware to un-check.

Tried to decline the 30 day trial license -in essence I did not want to activate it, so as to experience the free version only. I was only offered the options to enter my license key, or to purchase. Well I had not been given a key, and I sure as heck wasn't going to purchase, so I closed the wizard, and restarted the PC.

Lo and behold, there the HMPA icon was in my notification tray. So it looks like I got the full trial monty after all. At least for the next 29 days, after which presumably it reverts to the free version, sans bells and whistles.

The first thing I try is to open IE 11. It opens promptly, with the familiar green fly-out tab from HMPA telling me all is well.

Next, I try to open Firefox 38.0.1. No joy!

An alert pops up to say FF was terminated to prevent execution of malicious code, and that I should scan my computer for malware. A first time for me! Asks me to scan with HitmanPro (HMP). At this point I am unsure which version of HMP this will run: the on-demand free scanner I already have, or the paid scanner built into HMPA 3 that might automatically delete whatever it finds? So I waffle, and open Opera. Seems ok.

Scans by MBAM Premium, Panda Free AV,  and Emsisoft are all clean. So I ran HitmanPro Free, from my taskbar. It found nothing. I ran it again from within HMPA. Again, nothing. But I note that my HitmanPro AV 30 day trial, which I had never activated before (waiting for the proverbial rainy day when something might actually be detected that would need deleting) was now activated, and counting down. Looks like I've wasted my (HMP) ammo.

And I still cannot get Firefox to open, even after a reboot. (Firefox is not my default browser, and I use very few extensions, apart from "NoScript" and "Ad-block plus". It has never failed to open in the past.

So I start disabling HMPA settings, to find the culprit. Turns out it is one of the 12 options in the "Exploit mitigation-Firefox" module. To be more specific, the "Enforce DEP" option, under "Memory Mitigations". Which is all Greek to me. And I can no longer sign in to to the Dell forums - I get an "incorrect credentials" message when I try using Firefox.

Other than that, HMPA 3 has had no discernable effect on my system. Nothing was added to my start menu, and only
the HMPA service "HITMANPRO.ALE" was added. No effect on my CPU usage, which remains at ~1%, and my "FreeCell" (perhaps the best arbiter of my system's performance) remains as snappy as ever. Opening/navigating  financial websites is not a problem.

That said, HMPA 3 has trashed my Firefox. I can still use it, but its home page is foreign to me. My few extensions are gone. I can't even access "about Firefox" to confirm my version.

I would add that SurfRight has no user-to-user forum as such to troubleshoot problems with HMP and HMPA. Just 2  incredibly long threads over at Wilders, which really is bush league. One gets the impression the developer is using this as a sort of beta venue for feedback. 

As always, I cannot vouch for the efficacy of this product in preventing exploits. Maybe it is great - but all I can document is the grief.

When my 30 day trial is over, I will be re-installing HMPA 2. (Or maybe not).

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

May 28th, 2015 20:00

Follow-up:

1) I was mistaken that HMP.A 3 had affected my Firefox. Just before trying HMP.A 3 I had installed the latest version of FF (38.0.1) so was not familiar with its latest GUI. The latest version of FF is working well.

2) I am still unable to open FF if I enable the "Enforce DEP" in the FF Mitigation module of HMPA. If I uncheck that option, FF works as expected. Attempts to disable all my FF extensions, by placing it inh a FF "safe mode", were unsuccessful in solving my problem. Which rules out that my FF extensions were conflicting with HMP.A 3.

3) I reported this problem over in Wilders Security forum. Only one member responded, who was not able to help me. My complaint is now lost in that massive thread for all problems related to HMPA. This is not acceptable to me for a commercial product. When free security products such as MBAM and various AVs offer dedicated user-to-user security forums for trouble-shooting problems, SurfRight has no excuse to limit itself to only threads at Wilders, particularly for a paid product. I can certainly not recommend any of the SurfRight paid products based on my experience to date.

4) OK, all that said. HMPA 3 so far works well with "Enforce DEP" disabled for FF. I will probably keep it until the free trial expires (and the module with "Enforce DEP" along with it).  I should still be left with a free version that is better than the version 2 I had.  We shall see.

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

June 2nd, 2015 13:00

Update 2:

More bugs.

HMPA 3 has closed IE 11 "to prevent execution of malicious software". (This at betanews.com).

Then "Attack Intercepted" . Microsoft Word 14 closed for the same reason. "Please check your computer for malware and update." Again, if I uncheck " Enforce DEP" for MS Word, this alert does not show up.

Naturally all my scans are clean, and Secunia PSI confirms I am fully updated.

Final Conclusions:

- HMPA 3 is buggy. Acceptable if this were a beta version, but it is a paid (full version) trial product.
- HMPA 3 (like HMPro) has no useful user-to-user forum. But at least HMPro doesn't give me grief.
- HMPA 3 is not ready for prime time. Caveat emptor.

2 Posts

September 4th, 2015 10:00

I think you are being a bit harsh on this product and the company.

They are clearly geniuses for coming up with such a great security tool and it's rapidly gaining recognition worldwide, not least from the Swiss Internet Security Alliance who provide tools with HPMA integrated to Swiss bank customers.

The company has struck gold and they are struggling to keep up with demand and grow their support structures accordingly, but the excellence of the product is what I am focused on, it's really unique.

In fact, when I had an issue I simply raised a ticket with them and they responded with excellent replies, albeit a bit slow, I had no need to go to the Wilders forum although I have posted there on a compatability question regarding HMPA and Webroot together, since I do not expect the company to know and test all anti-malware product compatability.

Subsequently I concluded that I've had too many issues with WRSA so I uninstalled it despite paying for a 5 user 1 year license a week before, and am now relying on a simple AV solution plus HMP and HMPA3 for that extra protection layer or two. Also Bitdefender Safepay used for banking just to be extra sure.

I've just had one conflict and it occured only once, but I cannot definitely pin it down to HMPA. I was trying to generate and download a pdf from my online banking session in BD Safepay and it stuck. I suspect that HMPA and Safepay may have fought over Adob pdf reader, but it only occured once. At the same time I had Malwarebytes Pro running, so it was probably all too much and indeed i removed that software as well. All is fine now.

Previously tried MWB anti-exploit but was not impressed, too many issues. Also tried EMET and had problems too.

Bottom line is that I'd highly recommend HMPA3 alert together with a simple AV such as Microsoft SE or Avira, leave the rest out, to avoid potential or actual conflicts, but you really don't need more protection, or if you are nervous then add Bitdefender Safepay, it's free.

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

September 4th, 2015 14:00

Hi  Cavehomme2:

Thanks for your input. My reviews report only my experience with a product, usually on only one PC. Given the multiple platforms and variety of security products available, naturally my experiences are unique to my system/configuration. You can see from my signature that I use a lot of (mostly free) security programs, and the potential for conflicts is ever present. Particularly with other protection that runs in real time.

HMPA3 (full/trial version) certainly incorporates a lot of modules, some of which might duplicate protection already present in other real-time security programs I use. However the other programs I use have stood the test of time for me, and I am reluctant to disable them one by one in order to find any conflict.

Surfright ran across my review. To their credit they offered me a one year license of HMPA for further testing and review, which I accepted. I run it still on the same Win7/sp1 system, and as long as DEP is disabled for my browsers and a few programs, it gives me little grief. It still gives me a very occasional warning in IE11 of some threat that results in closing this default browser. I consider these to be false positives, given the safe nature of the websites I regularly visit which generated these alerts.

I don't think my review was unduly harsh to Surfright. I gave kudos where due to HMP and HMPA2-Free, which I have used without grief for years. (Others in this forum had problems, and do not use either).

My biggest beef with Surfright continues to be their lack of a user-to-user forum in which to get answers to problems. The Wilders single thead for all problems is practically unusable, and I don't think writing a ticket to the vendor is the best way to solve problems for most users. I can't think of another paid or free security product I use (or have used) that doesn't provide such a forum.

I think HMPA3 has great promise, if it lives up to its claims. As I said in my review, I cannot vouch for the protection claims made for HMPA3 - I'm not qualified to test efficacy of any security program. The only tests that support its claims were from Effitas MRG, and were sponsored by Surfright. It would be nice to see testing from independent test sites confirm this protection.

Finally, I am on record here as believing that free security products will suffice in protecting most users. That said, my opinion is always subject to change. I don't think HMPA3 (paid) has met my criteria yet for recommendation.

1 Message

February 11th, 2016 13:00

Your reviews seem pretty spot-on in this, although I'm not nearly as informed as you. I've uninstalled the HMP program long ago but still receive the alerts at every log on using either IE or Google Chrome. How can this be removed? i cannot find the program since the "uninstall" completed. But I have a warning at every internet session.

No Events found!