Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2004 21:00

ICQ-Firewall, please help!

My friend and I have tried many many times to do a Chat, and send files on icq.  But it fails.  We cannot connect to do a chat, or send any sort of file.  (but we can send regular messages)  When we send requests to do a chat, we get a message saying we're behind firewalls and we need to use a SOCKS Proxy sever, however neither of us know about that too much.  And then sometimes it just says Connection could not be established.  But even if we disable our Norton Firewalls, and Windows firewall, we still get that same message.  He can chat with everyone on his list but me.  Is it possible that there is another firewall on my computer that I don't know about that maybe is causing this problem??  I've tried to configure my icq, and he's tried to configure his.  But nothing works.  I have cable, and he uses Dial-Up.  Both of us have Windows XP.  Can anyone help me please.  Maybe help me to configure icq correctly.  Or help me find another firewall that maybe I don't know about.  Please?

933 Posts

October 15th, 2004 21:00

Hi Kim, I have not used ICQ in forever, prefering the ease of MSNIM.  Here is some information I located that might help.  Good Luck:

Message Edited by pskelley on 10-15-2004 06:49 PM

8 Posts

October 15th, 2004 22:00

Yes, thank you.  I have tried that too.  However I don't know what that stuff means.  I don't understand all that stuff.  But I will try that again, I guess.  Maybe check with my friend to see if they have seen that site and understood it at all.  I'm just sick of not being able to do a chat, I love that so much.  I like doing that more then using MSN messenger.  But at least I have MSN so that I can send files, anyway. 

Thank you for helping.  And if you have anymore ideas, on what I can do please let me know.

-Kim :)

No Events found!