Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2003 14:00

ISP says virus,Mcafee says no virus...HUH?

5 Posts

November 4th, 2003 14:00

y computer has been giving me problems for a week.I can log on and go to any website I put in the address bar,except search engines.If I put in a search engine or attempt a search on Yahoo,my home page,I get the 404 server not found message.If I am on a website with a search function(Gamefaqs) I get the blue screen of death when I attempt a search with the IRQL is not less than or equal message.ISP says I have a virus but they have no information on which one.MCafee,Norton,Stinger,and Bull guard say otherwise.I have a dell dimension and all my Mcafee features are updated.Help 

3.9K Posts

November 4th, 2003 15:00

Hi

On my site (Link Below) try the AV section and one of the online virus checkers, such as housecall.

If that does not work try the malware route.(from links on my site)
Spybot
Ad-aware
cwshredder (although for your case I don't think this will help, but will not hurt)

Failing those solving your problems try one of the spyware problem sites listed by me on my site, I am in all those sites as ChrisRLG.
Post your hijackthis log for the experts to advise - you might get me, but any of the more problematic ones are handled by the experts. If you get a 'advanced member' like me, we have other ways of asking for advice from the experts, to pass on to you.

Please be aware that due to problems over the weekend, lots of 'experts' and 'advanced users' are in multi forum's now, but in each of these they may look like 'new boys' because in 'that' forum they are new. (IE in Spywareinfo I am an 'advanced member' in others I am 'new member'.)

You could post your log here in this thread and I will have a go at giving advice, but if you go to one of the more specalist sites more experts will be able to help.

579 Posts

November 5th, 2003 01:00

Your Mcafee should be DAT 4301 today. Some times 2 or more A/V programs on the same machine misfunction.Try Chris's recommendation of the checks run by Housecall or another online A/V. This does not sound like a known virus or worm etc., but?????

551 Posts

November 9th, 2003 19:00

Comcast told my brother he had a virus many times over a 2-3 week period. Nothing showed he had a virus when we checked the machine. His address was just being spoofed by viruses using names from address books they were able to infect. (It sent mail out from other machines as if they were him).

He got a new E-mail address from Comcast. I try to use one of the 6 addresses I can create or destroy myself so I don't have to deal with the ISP if I want to stop using a POP3 address.

No Events found!