Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2010 20:00

Intel Pro VE 100 NIC drivers will not load

Long story short .... I have a Dimension B110 running Windows Home SP3 and I opened a US postal email about a parcel delivery failure and got a virus that forced IE go to a website that wanted me to buy their virus protection software.   Anyway I researched the fix on a laptop and removed the virus manually from the instructions all the way to deleting registry keys.  Rebooted the system... everything OK ....  I searched for a free registry cleaner program to clean up my registry.  Downloaded one that found like 678 registry errors and would I like to fix them.....upon clicking yes it deleted the first 15 most critical errors and requested I register the software to continue cleaning the rest....needless to say they wanted me to purchase the software to continue,  I Xed out and when I did I lost my network connection on all my IE tab pages.   I shut down IE and restarted IE  to find out my home page would not load ( only THE WEBPAGE IS UNAVAILABLE BECAUSE YOU ARE OFFLINE).      I restarted the computer still no internet connection...  I checked device manager to find my NIC drivers did not load.  Next step was to run circles around trying to reload the drivers.  I went to Dell and download both versions of the Intel Pro VE 100 drivers to no avail... after removing the old drivers and installing to new neither would load.  I went to Intel support and got their drivers no luck.   After wringing my hair I finally rebooted to Dell partition and ran the diagnostics.  Guess what?  The NIC passed both DOS level tests.  By this time I  was completely disgusted with the whole mess and threatened to my wife that I was going to dump the whole system and reload.   Again needless to say she did not agree and pleaded with me to find another way as this is her home computer too....  I then went and purchased a new LinkSys 10/100 NIC and installed......ARGH!!! the drivers for it would not load.  So this is my hope,  that someone on this forum would be able to help me figure out why NIC drivers will not load on my MS Home SP3 Dell B110 desktop PC.

1.5K Posts

July 4th, 2010 16:00

Hi Jeff Gaskins,

As you have found out, These so called registry cleaners will nine time's out of ten cause more problems then they are worth. They are renowned for killing systems.

If you still have the reg cleaner installed please open the program and if it allows, please restore every thing that it removed.

After that I am going to need to see a HijackThis log. Please visit THIS page for instruction on running downloading and running the tool (NOTE: HJT is now on version 2.0.4, Please DO NOT download version's 2.0.2 or 2.0.3). As you have no Internet connection you will have to tranfer the installer to the infected system using a removable media and then transfer the log back to the clean system for posting.

(WARNING: It would be a very good idea, and I strongly suggest scanning each file you trensfer from the infected system to the clean system, we dont want this to happen to both the systems')

Please post the HJT log back to this thread.

Thanks,
K27.

1.5K Posts

July 6th, 2010 13:00

Hi,

Do you still require assistance?

1.5K Posts

July 7th, 2010 05:00

This topic is now Inactive.....

The fixes in this topic were written specifically for this user, following them may cause harm to your machine and render it a brick (useless)

If you are the original poster and would like further assistance please post a fresh HJT log and details of the problems you are having.

All other user's, please read THIS page and then please start a New Topic at the top of the Malware Removal Forum by clicking the DCFnewpost.png button.

Thanks,
K27.

No Events found!