Start a Conversation

Unsolved

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

March 28th, 2022 20:00

Is Kaspersky AV Safe?

With the recent invasion by Russia into Ukraine, and the resulting tensions with the west, the safety of the Russian based anti-virus from Kaspersky has been questioned.

Eugene Kaspersky (the founder and current CEO) is an oligarch in Russia, and lives in Moscow with his family. He was educated in The Technical Faculty of the KGB Higher School (prior to the fall of the USSR).

That said, Kaspersky AV (KAV) has a long history of excellent results at independent testing sites (including AV-Comparatives and AV-Test, based in Austria and Germany respectively). The latest tests at both sites in 2022 confirm these results for the paid version of KAV. I am aware of no reports of KAV compromising any computers.

My interest in this topic stems from a review I reported on the Free KAV version some 5 years ago, a version still available today:
https://www.dell.com/community/Virus-Spyware/Review-Kaspersky-Free-AV/m-p/5174116#M200828

My review was generally favorable to KAV, but I must confess I opted for other free AVs for various reasons at that time, and subsequently.

At this time I have no reason to believe KAV is unsafe. At the same time, I have no reason to recommend it, in either free or paid version.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 29th, 2022 13:00

@joe53  - Did you see my post here?

Some foreign governments are asking the same questions.

The US government has forbidden any of its offices (and possibly its contractors too) from using Kaspersky for several years. 

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

March 29th, 2022 17:00

Thanks Ron. 

PCWorld published an article yesterday on this topic: 

https://www.pcworld.com/article/626854/kaspersky-blacklisted-as-a-risk-to-u-s-national-security.html 

I note they still recommend the free KAV, but not the paid. I note the US government banned KAV back in 2017, so I'm not sure what extra measures they took recently. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 29th, 2022 18:00

Banning its use by government offices and contractors is one thing. Adding it to the FCC's list makes it a recommendation to everyone not to use it, even though they haven't totally banned its sale/use in USA.

Interesting that Windows Defender may flag it as dangerous when trying to install it. Is that Microsoft trying to use the current political situation in their favor by influencing users to keep WD?

No Events found!