Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

February 1st, 2005 14:00

Is this caused by a virus?

Hi, Does anyone know what would cause and/or how to fix out of memory and low resources error messages in Windows 98.  On my PC Windows will load but I cannot open any applications or programs. I get the out of memory- low resources error. I cannot even open accessories/calculator or control panel without this error message being generated. I close programs that were auto launching using cntrl/alt/delete task list and still cannot open anything up without that error message. Please help. Thanks.

8.8K Posts

February 1st, 2005 15:00

Go to here and do an online scan and delete whatever it finds. Be sure to highlight the drives you want to have searched.
After that could you please go to here
and download AdAwareSE and delete what it finds. Then while using
AdAware, click on add-ons and get their plug-in for the VX2 variant,
and run that and delete what it finds.
After that go to here
and download SpyBot and run that and delete what it finds.
Now go to
here and download HiJackThis to its own folder that you create on your C:\ drive.
After it is downloaded open the program and click Scan and Save to log.

Post the log that it generates here.

Steve

February 1st, 2005 16:00

Hi Steve. Thanks I would do that but I can't get out to the Internet on my home PC. I get the out of memory errors when I try to open explorer and it also puts unknown web site addresses in my browser address window.

8.8K Posts

February 1st, 2005 16:00

Try downloading the program to a floppy.
Then installing it on your home computer and saving the log to a text file, this way you won't need to be on the net.
Then post that log on this tread and hopefully we can clear that problem up.

Now if Mike happens to read this tread he might have some ideas that will work.

Steve

Message Edited by zbestwun2001 on 02-01-2005 10:26 AM

February 1st, 2005 17:00

thanks will do
No Events found!