This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

March 5th, 2008 01:00

Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 5

Now available:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

(For the first time I can recall, I was actually able to detect, download and install via the java applet in Control Panel, rather than from the above link).

Don't forget to uninstall any and all previous versions of JRE via Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs after updating.

Release notes:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/ReleaseNotes.html

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

March 5th, 2008 22:00

for anyone still runing Windows 98/ME, the latest supported version is 5 update 15

http://java.com/en/download/windows98me_manual.jsp

Message Edited by ky331 on 03-06-2008 08:21 AM

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

March 7th, 2008 02:00

Is it necessary to uninstall the previous version before downloading the update...since the download and install seem to be one seamless process? I went through the control panel and everything seemed to go well untill but the loading process bogged down and didn't want to complete. Can remember the error message. Would I have more luck going through the Java website?

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

March 7th, 2008 05:00

Dale:

If you uninstall the previous version first, then try to update via the java applet in Control Panel, I don't know what would happen. I chose to try the java applet first, and was surprised it finally worked after all these years. Only then did I uninstall the old version.

I've always had to install from the java website in the past, and that method never failed me. But this time it certainly was easier, at least for me. Perhaps it was my broadband connection, which was recently made much faster. But even when my java updater worked this time, it did not uninstall the previous version- this I still had to do manually via Add/Remove Programs.

20.5K Posts

March 7th, 2008 11:00

We have found that the offline installation goes more smoothly.

• Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u5 allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each of the Java versions.

• Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u5-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
No Events found!