3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

March 29th, 2007 12:00

Java SE Runtime Environment 6, UPDATE 1, now available

3.3K Posts

March 30th, 2007 17:00

Thanks David,

Just wondering, have you or any of the other experts here ever been able to find the Java updates from having the "Automatic Update" feature active from within the control panel? I never have.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

March 30th, 2007 18:00

I've never tried looking for Java updates from the Control Panel....

and I use WinPatrol to disable the  Sun Java Update Scheduler -- JUSched --- from automatically running every time I boot up my PCs.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

March 31st, 2007 11:00

1972vet:

The Java Control Panel updater has never worked for me either, and I've seen so many reports of this behavior that I believe it is the usual experience.

Like ky331, I disabled JUSched- always get updates directly from the website.

3.3K Posts

March 31st, 2007 15:00

joe53,

"The Java Control Panel updater has never worked for me either, and I've seen so many reports of this behavior that I believe it is the usual experience.

Like ky331, I disabled JUSched- always get updates directly from the website."

Yup...same here. I had been curious if ANYONE had EVER been notified by the auto updater for java, as it has been my experience that with every update notice I find either in one of these forums, or by going to look for myself, that my java auto updater just sits there dead as a piece of road kill totally oblivious to any update that sun micro puts out there on the web.

Makes me wonder what the auto updater is designed to do...certainly not update your java software as would be the most obvious assumption.

Like you (and probably most others) I disable mine for the useless waste of resources that it consumes.

On another note, completely unrelated but probably interesting to the two of you, I see we've all grown used to the forum software not working the line breaks for any of the posts in any of the boards.

Just wonder how difficult it is for one of Dell's highly trained techs to add a [br]
to the html code.
What I find interesting is that the html code for a line break won't post properly using the angel brackets which indicates to me that it works just fine...one only needs to include it and link it to the check box lol

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

April 1st, 2007 20:00

Java 6 supports Windows XP (Home/Pro),  2000 (Pro/Server), Server 2003, and Vista.  

To be technical, you can still install and use Java 6 on Windows 98/ME, but such use is not "supported":
Note: Trying to install the Java SE Runtime Environment on a non-supported version of Microsoft Windows or on a machine that doesn't have a sufficiently up-to-date Service Pack will cause the installer to generate this warning: "We recommend that you do not install this Java platform for the following reasons: This Java platform does not support the operating system or operating-system service pack on this machine."

However, Java 5 is still available --- it supports Windows 98SE and ME, and the latest version here is 1.5.0_11

Message Edited by ky331 on 04-01-2007 06:11 PM

771 Posts

April 2nd, 2007 15:00

I used to regularly update my Java software until I discovered that some websites don't work correctly with the newer software. I'm using version 1.5.0.10 and will stick with it unless I have problems with Java-enabled websites.

8.8K Posts

April 2nd, 2007 16:00

If you are using that outdated version you realize that you are vulnerable, don't know?

zb1

81 Posts

April 3rd, 2007 17:00

So downloading it Offline do I go Offline do download Java?

Or do I go Offline after downloading Java then exiting out of IE to install Java

a little clarification please

thanx  dynamo

8.8K Posts

April 3rd, 2007 18:00

Download the offline version.

Reboot, and execute it when you get back on your desktop.

Any other questions, just let me know.

zb1

81 Posts

April 4th, 2007 20:00

OK thanx I was making it too complicated with the word offline in there  thought you had to do something offline  I guees.

thanx  much  dynamo

No Events found!