Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

May 4th, 2013 15:00

MBAM Pro Tray Icon

A couple of time now I have noticed that the icon stays gray upon startup instead of changing to blue after a short interval. According to Winpatrol's Active Task and Services tabs, it seems to be active and working. Anyone have an idea what might be causing this. No other problems with this much appreciated program.

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

May 4th, 2013 16:00

Hi David...

This is the computer with Vista and at the lastest bootup it came up blue. MBAM  is normally the first program to come up, even beating AntiVir. If I remember correctely when I right clicked on it when it was gray, the litte box did not come up. At any rate the top three boxes are checked and when I open the program it shows that protection is enabled and the boxes are checked are the same as yours. I did spring for the Pro version, and assume there would be no problem reinstalling it if I decide to do that. Thanks for your suggestions as usual.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

May 4th, 2013 16:00

Dale,

On which of your systems is this happening?   (I think I've experienced this on XP, and generally found that "Website Blocking" had been disabled.)

If you RIGHT-click on the MBAM icon, are the 3 top items checked?   If not, see if you can check them.  

It might be easier to open/start the MBAM program and look under the PROTECTION tab to see the status.   Ideally, it should be GREEN (Protection Enabled).  On my system, everything is checked there [except Automatically Quarantine filesystem Threats --- which I have opted to uncheck, giving me total control/responsibility on all quarantining decisions].

If something else is unchecked, see if you can check it.   On slower systems, you might have to wait for a few seconds.   If the changes seem to hold, see what happens when you reboot the system.  

If you can't get the settings to change, or they revert back after rebooting, you might try reinstalling MBAM over itself [especially if it's your XP system] to see if that corrects things.   If that doesn't work, we could try a "clean" install of MBAM... but DON'T do that yet... we can give you instructions if it comes to that.   (If a "clean" install also fails to fix things, you'll probably need personalized/customized analysis for malware that could be blocking something...)

Note:   If BB replies here, I defer to her instructions.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

May 4th, 2013 17:00

Reinstalling over itself should not pose any problems...

but if you ever decide you want/need a "clean" install... I believe they have a special uninstaller/cleaner to remove the remnants... but BEFORE doing so, you should make sure to take note of your MBAM license code --- which will be wiped-out with the special cleaning tool --- and you'll need this information to re-enter it.

1K Posts

Hi Dale.

I suffered it a lot with version 1.70 in my XP. Since installing v. 1.75, It has not happened again.

Like David said. it was always the web module which was deactivated. In my case, I had to exit MBAM completely, and ran it again for the blue icon to show in my taskbar. Going into MBAM UI and clicking the box for the web module did not work.

If you decide to install MBAM fresh, you may concider to run its uninstall utility (Added: as advised by BB): http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe

Remove MBAM via add/remove programs and then apply tool.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

Hi guys,
The only thing I would add is to perhaps first make sure the firewall is not blocking MBAM from downloading updates and/or using IP blocking. Maybe it is running locally, but cannot do its online job? Although I'd think you would see an error message to let you know.

Ensure these Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's Files and Folders are excluded from your Antivirus AND your Firewall.

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
    C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
    C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
    C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you will need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well.

-------------------------

Dale, as ky331 mentioned, if you end up doing an uninstall/clean install make sure you have saved your account registration/license info.

Here's the utility: http://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/20818461-Use-mbam-clean-exe-to-completely-remove-Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware

Let us know how it goes. :emotion-15:

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

May 4th, 2013 18:00

Hernan wrote:  "I suffered it a lot...  in my XP... it was always the web module which was deactivated... Going into MBAM UI and clicking the box for the web module did not work".

Interesting... and here, I was beginning to think it was just me :emotion-5:

I don't know that I ever took note of whether or not this was limited to a specific version/build of MBAM (e.g., 1.70)... I thought it might have been others as well.    Suffice it to say it's currently working on my XP system.   [I don't believe I ever had any issues with it under Win7].

1K Posts

May 4th, 2013 18:00

David.

The wierd thing was that before version 1.70 there were a lot of complains in MBAM forums about the grey icon. I did not have that problem for that version whatever it was ( I can't remember ). Then came v. 1.70, supposedly the grey icon issue was fixed with it, but all my problems started. I posted in MBAM forums and the fix was to reinstalled MBAM clean but it did not fix it. I was happy when I installed v. 1.75 and the grey icon was gone. Before that, I dreaded every time when I booted my comp the first time of the day.

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

May 4th, 2013 21:00

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep an eye on it and see if it acts up again. The Pro version has been pretty maintainence free and auto updates like a charm.

No Events found!