Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

April 27th, 2009 08:00

MSN & ASK toolbars: Java JRE & Comodo

this news comes from BillP of WinPatrol http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2009/04/sun-java-promoting-microsoft-toolbar.html :

1)  Sun Java is now offering users the MSN toolbar.   If you don't want it, be sure to UNcheck this option.   (Likewise for any other toolbars that it might try to piggyback).

2) As has been reported here (and elsewhere), Comodo now offers users the ASK toolbar, which many anti-malware programs deem to be adwareSoftpedia, a popular download site, which had been offering the Comodo download, explicitly labeled it as adware, by virtue of the ASK toolbar.   Comodo strenuously objected, to the point of obtaining a "cease-and-desist" order against Softpedia, forcing them to remove the adware labeling.   Softpedia, which guarantees all the downloads on its site are "100% clean" including "No adware.   No spyware.  (And)  No viruses"  has complied --- by completely removing the Comodo download from its site!

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

April 27th, 2009 13:00

Comodo has really shot itself in the foot!

There is no question that the ASK toolbar is adware, with a very shady past.
There is no question that Comodo disguises it as "SafeSurf", which implies it is a security enhancement (it is not).
There is no question that it is installed by default, rather than as an option.
There is no question that Comodo benefits financially by foisting this toolbar on unsuspecting users.
There is no question that many security sites  and experts have condemned this practice.

Serving "cease and desist" orders on reputable download sites is only hurting Comodo's reputation.

The flip side of the coin is that:
One can choose not to install the toolbar, during the firewall installation.
One can remove the toolbar after the fact.
Comodo's firewall is free, and gets top ratings in leaktests at matousec.

I find myself in the unusual position of using a good product from a vendor I do not trust, and hence can not recommend. Kudos to Softpedia.

"Caveat emptor!"

No Events found!