Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

May 17th, 2013 12:00

Malwarebytes-Free Version

Is there anyway to make Malwarebytes Anti-Malware show as the free version or do I have to wait until 13 days pass to turn this into the free version? Right now it is showing as the trial version.  

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

May 17th, 2013 12:00

Annie,

If you've already activated the trial period (be it intentionally or accidentally), you might as well enjoy it while it lasts... I don't believe you'll be able to try it again at a later date.

Having said that, if you really want to revert to the free version:

1) the simplest "equivalent" would be to DISABLE the real-time protection (by Unchecking ALL the boxes), from the PROTECTION tab.   Doing so effectively makes the paid version behave as if it were the free version.

2) Alternatively, you can download and run MBAM's specialized removal tool (I'll have to look up the link; EDIT:  http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_clean ), which should completely eradicate your existing version & settings... reboot when indicated... after which you then (download and) reinstall the free version.

If Bugbatter has an alternative/better suggestion, I defer to her judgment.

5.8K Posts

May 17th, 2013 13:00

I don't know what version of Windows you use, but I was never successful in getting MBAM Pro (real-time protection) to work in my XP system without slowing everything down.

It has been a while since I last disabled real-time protection, effectively converting it into the free version, but I believe if you open the program, and click on the Protection tab, there should be a way to disable it.

(Edit: Oops, late as usual!)

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

May 17th, 2013 13:00

I have the Enable files system protection and enable malicious web blocking disabled, under Protection..  The Malwarebytes Icon near the clock say "trial 13days." This computer is an older laptop with Vista and I am working on it for a lady in a retirement home. (I am a volunteer at the home) She does not know much about computers-she gets her email and does a bit on the web. I  just do not want her to get a popup in 13 days and not have her understand what it is for, especially when I preach do not download anything from a popup!

I am going to try to completely uninstall Malwarebytes and then see if I can find a site for the completely free version. I have the paid version on all of my computers-however many of the people in retirement homes cannot afford many extra expenses. I will get back to you both.  Many thanks.

1K Posts

May 17th, 2013 15:00

Hi Annie.

You do not have to do anything just wait for the trial period to end or switch back to MBAM FREE selecting "END Trial".

http://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/23290181-How-do-I-activate-my-Free-version-of-Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-

@Joe

Funny thing. I have never had problems with MBAM in my XP eventhouhg mbamservice.exe uses 100+ MB of memory. A little high for my taste if you consider that other programs like Avast!, SAS, or CIS do not use more than 60 MB even when scanning or updating.

Regards.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

You're welcome, Annie. :emotion-1:

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

I have this all sorted now. Thanks for all the replies. I followed ky331's plan by using the uninstaller to uninstall the trial version and then again downloading the free version,  I checked to not activate the pro version this time at the reinstall.   Perhaps I missed unchecking this the first time through.  I now have a version of Malwarebytes that is not labeled with "trial." 

Linda, I am going to assume that I missed reading the three options in detail the first time. I probably did have Trial ticked.

Thanks for all the replies.  Each reply was very helpful.   Annie

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

Hi Annie,

As I understand it, when MBAM is installed it gives three options: Pro(paid), Trial, Free. Sometimes people make a mistake and click "Trial".

When the trial ends there will be a popup with choices. <-- This might be confusing to the person you are helping. Therefore, if you don't want to wait, are you able to find the option to end the trial now so that it automatically reverts to free? Unless I misinterpreted this, there is a button available to do that.

If not, yes, try what ky331 suggested to uninstall the trial now and install the free version.

(Edit: Oops! Sorry, I did not see Hernan's post.)

No Events found!