Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2010 06:00

McAfee - Existing security centre Licences

Hi

First time poster so please be gentle.

I've just bought a Dell Inspiron 17R direct from Dell that has one month free McAfee Security Centre loaded. My account says that I have 27 days remaining. All good so far.

However, I have a different McAfee account from my old PC that includes 3 licences. One was used on the old PC, my account said that I had two remaining. The licences are due to expire in June 2011.

I went into my old McAfee account and tried to download another security centre (as I had two licences unused) on to my new Dell. All seems to go OK.The McAfee files on the Dell are removed and then re-installed. However, when I then check to see that I have no got the PC protection until June...it still says I have only 27 days remaining.

On the plus side...I still have two licences left so nothing wasted.

Do I need to wait until the Dell subscription comes to an end before going to my other account and downloading the McAfee Security Centre from there? Or..is there some part of the process I am missing out?

Not a huge deal but if I can use one of the licences that do not expire until June 2011 it gives me security protection on the Dell for an extra 6 months.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 28th, 2010 15:00

Hi Ian Sam, and welcome to DCF.

Try this:

1. Temporarily enable Windows Firewall
  2. Uninstall McAfee using the instructions HERE <--follow carefully
  3. Reinstall McAfee from your old active account
  4. Restart
  5. Disable Windows Firewall

2 Posts

December 29th, 2010 04:00

Thanks Red Dawn

I tried to enable Windows 7 Firewall (Step 1) but I can't alter any settings while McAfee is installed. It says that "These settings are being managed by vendor application McAfee personal firewall"

I turned off the McAfee firewall but the message remained the same. There was a link regarding enabling windows firewall but to be honest it just sent you to advice regarding "changing and uninstalling programs".

Seems maybe I have to uninstall McAfee first and miss out Step 1?

:emotion-43:

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 29th, 2010 07:00

Okay, no problem.

1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe) and save to your downloads folder.
  2. Turn off your Internet connection.
  3. Close any running programs.
  4. Uninstall McAfee through Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features.
  5. Restart.
  6. Navigate to where you saved the McAfee Removal tool (MCPR.exe) .
  7. Right-click MCPR.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  8. Restart your computer after receiving the message CleanUp Successful
  9. Enable Windows Firewall if not already enabled.
  10. Turn on your Internet connection.
  11. Connect to your McAfee account only, and reinstall McAfee.
  12. Restart.
  13. Disable Windows Firewall if not already disabled.

Copy & Paste these instructions to Notepad and save, just in case you need to reference them again while offline.

No Events found!