Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2010 07:00

Microsoft Security Essentials

Is anyone using Microsoft's Security Essentials product?

"Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free* download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology. It’s easy to tell if your PC is secure — when you’re green, you’re good. It’s that simple.

Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want—without interruptions or long computer wait times."

If so, what do think about it?

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

February 26th, 2010 10:00

Glad to see we're back up!  :emotion-2: Hopefully it will last for awhile!

I have had MSE on my Vista computer for a few months now and have been very happy with it. It incorporates the Windows Defender technology if memory serves, so there is no need to have that separately, and it will turn it off automatically if you have it installed. The interface is simple and straightforward and it seems to do its job quietly and effeciently...just like the ad copy suggests. I usually just update manually when I first sign on for the day, but I believe it can be set up to do it automatically. The testing seems to indicate that it is right up near the top in performance.

On my XP machine I am using Avast 5 Free and have been very pleased with it.

5.8K Posts

February 26th, 2010 10:00

Hi optnes:

I trialed MSE when it was first released, and was very impressed.

It was all you quoted, and trouble-free. It replaces the need for separate AV and anti-malware programs running  in real-time, and did not conflict with any of my other programs. It draws on a malware signature database probably unequalled by any other vendor. We have seen very few, if any, reports of problems with MSE in this forum.

In testing by the independent website AV-Comparatives, MSE fared very well at proactive detection and malware removal, and had a very low rate of false positives:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

If I were not already using a paid AV with which I am very satisfied, MSE is the free security solution I would probably choose. It lacks a few bells and whistles, but nothing you can't get for free elsewhere (such as WOT toolbar for website safety ratings, WinPatrol as a start-up manager, and Windows integrated software firewall).

And if you try it, and it is not to your liking, it is easily uninstalled.

2 Intern

• 

1.1K Posts

February 26th, 2010 12:00

Hi,

I am not at all an expert on Anti-virus and computer protection.

I have been using Microsoft Security Esstential since my migration to Windows7 in Oct 2009. I also have WOT as internet site advisor,

I have had no problem up-until a week ago last Saturday, Suddenly unfortunate enough to get infected with Malware/virus.  Inspite of our careful surfing habbits of the net, we as a family were unfortunate to have been infested with a dredful malware. WOT announced it a safe site but it was not, it turned out to be.

I do not blame WOT or Microsoft Security Essential [Both of them are free] and both of them are doing great job I guess.

I am still with WOT & Microsoft Security Essential for my computer protection.

Always keep a back up of your computer programs and other & regularly keep updated.  This is what saved my day. I was able to boot to my system boot disc and formatted my HD and reinstalled my windows7. This has saved me enormous time and reactivation ect.

Having said that, There are fantastic and very good individuals [selfless and provide their time for humanity as I regard ] here in this forum. Most often one of them can get you out of problem if you are happened to be unlucky in getting infected. 

These individuals should be appreciated better.

Regards

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

February 26th, 2010 15:00

I really like MSE. It is extremely easy to use, plays nicely with Windows (What a coincidence!) and has given me no problems. It meets my needs.

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

February 26th, 2010 16:00

I am using MSE on two of my computers. One computer is running XP and the other Vista. The simple interface is a plus.  I also installed MSE on 7 family members computers, one being my 92 year old mother-in-law's. She was pleased that she could navigate the interface. If you need an antivirus program for a person with new computer skills this is the program. It works well. As I have time I will be replacing my other antivirus programs on other computers with MSE. And so far--no false-positives. 

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

March 11th, 2010 06:00

toy man,

a very good endorsement of MSE.

however, be advised that use of asterisks in place of profanity is considered a violation of Dell's Terms of Service for these forums.   I would advise you to edit your post, remove the asterisks, avoid real or implied profanity, lest the forum moderators intercede and censor your post.

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

March 11th, 2010 07:00

toyman, Thanks for the feedback. I am using MSE on two machines. So far so good. It has a simple interface wihich I really like.  I am getting ready to order several XPS machines and will use MSE also rather than the preinstalled McAfee.

1 Message

March 12th, 2010 07:00

I use MSE on a Dimension 8100 w/WXP, a Gateway Netbook w/W732, a Studio 16 w/WVista and will be using it on a yet to come Studio 16 XPS I7 820 running W7 Pro. I currently have 5 grandchildren ages 8 to 15 using these machines. You can imagine the stuff they have downloaded and the resulting malware. I started using MSE a few days after release and introduced it to my machines 1 at a time (the Dimension 8100 is the beta machine for all new software trials). After installing it on the 8100 I let my 13 year old grand nephew use the machine. He doesn't listen to anyone and will download and install even when told not to. After a long weekend of being subjected to him the machine was still malware free. Since then I have not experienced even 1 malware problem. I have not had 1 false positive although I don't think I ever have. Now for what it does not do. It does not tie your machine up. It does not spend any noticable time when loading, unlike McAfee. It isn't noticed when running in the background for file scan. When I open a web page it pops right up now that Norton or McAfee isn't controlling the machine. I am very pleased with it. The other day I installed a new release (which seems to be a complete reinstall) of MSE and still no problems. When my new machine (for my exclusive use) comes I will be getting rid of the pre-installed McAfee (by the way I have had malware get past McAfee and I am a stickler for updates and backups) and installing MSE shortly after the software removals such as game trial software and required backups. I applaud Microsoft for this and my thoughts are 'who better than Microsoft to protect their own software'. I have always trusted Norton and up to now it seems to be the most informed anti virus. It just ties the machine up with the bells and whistles and the cost keeps rising. I can get McAfee for free through my ISP but I just absolutely don't like the software and I've seen it fail.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

March 12th, 2010 11:00

You can imagine the stuff they have downloaded and the resulting malware
Hi the_toy_man,

Thank you for the good review. I'm glad that you are happy with MSE, but the best protection is the person sitting behind the keyboard. I've seen malware overlooked by every security application out there.

If your 13 year old grand nephew doesn't listen to anyone and will download and install even when told not to maybe he should be told that he is not allowed to use the computer unless he follows your rules. Keep an eye on him and place some restrictions on the account that he is using. A lot of malware these days is installed with rootkit technology. One of these days the computer that he uses is going to end up with something that will not be easily found or removed.

No Events found!