Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2015 20:00

My Laptop's pen drive virus..

This started when I opened a shortcut that happened to be my pen drive's name and hiding all the files inside it. My antivirus(AVG) didn't detect this as a virus so I just opened the shortcut and found my files. Then, I noticed every time i plug any pen drive that shortcut appears again. I began to worry about what virus or malware my laptop has acquired and searched everywhere in the internet about the problem but nothing appeared to be helpful in removing that virus. Some antivirus can detect this shortcut as a virus like Smadav but it just erases the shortcut but my laptop is still infected.. Please help me..

1 Message

February 16th, 2016 01:00

Have you tried deleting the virus with security tools in safe mode?

Step 1: Enter Safe Mode
Keep your PC disconnected from the Internet, and don't use it until you're ready to clean your PC. This can help prevent the malware from spreading and/or leaking your private data.

Step 2: Delete Temporary Files
Now that you're in Safe Mode, you'll want to run a virus scan. But before you do that, delete your temporary files. Doing this may speed up the virus scanning, free up disk space, and even get rid of some malware.

Step 3: Scan your computer with Anti-malware software

If you think your PC is infected, I recommend using an on-demand scanner first and then following up with a full scan by your real-time antivirus program such as Malwarebytes.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 16th, 2016 10:00

Why do you think you have a virus?

If you connect your "pen drive" (I presume that means it's a USB flash drive.) to your laptop, you should see an icon appear on Windows' This PC screen that's a shortcut to the flash drive.

When you double-click that shortcut, it should show you the directory of all files and folders on that flash drive.

And if you "safely remove" that USB flash drive, its shortcut on the This PC screen should disappear.

Sounds like normal behavior to me, but maybe I just don't understand... :emotion-7:

No Events found!