Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2010 20:00

New Antivirus vs Established

I have a 3 year old Dell Dimension C521 desktop with Windows Vista Home premium which came with McAfee  installed.  Now that the subscription is about to expire I 'm not sure whether to renew or switch to a different brand.  I recently acquired the full version of Panda Global Security 2010  as a free bonus.  I would appreciate your opinion as to whether I should stay with McAfee which runs well with the current OS  and which will cost me about $60 for 1 yr, or try the Panda and risk experiencing "glitches"    Thanks in advance for your input.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

September 9th, 2010 20:00

Hi  bck2fut72:

My first piece of advice is to NOT let your McAfee expire before making a decision. It is important that one always have an up-to-date anti-virus and software firewall installed and running resident (i.e. in the background) at all times.

My second observation is that there is no "best" anti-virus, be it paid or free (and there are many good free ones out there- you can get more info on them from the link in my signature below). One size does not fit all.

Changing one's anti-virus (or security suite) is not a trivial process. It involves not only uninstalling your current AV, but also downloading and running an uninstall "mop-up" tool: in the case of McAfee, MCPR.exe.
Full instructions are here: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

After downloading this tool, you would have to go offline, uninstall McAfee, run the tool, and install the new Panda suite, before going back online.

I can't advise you as to whether Panda's security suite is "better" than the McAfee product you use now, as I use neither. You do not indicate whether you use McAfee anti-virus as a standalone product, or a whole suite (AV, anti-spyware, firewall). Just be sure that at the end of the day, you have only one AV and one software firewall installed.

My personal bias, based on many reasons, is that Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), which includes both an AV and anti-spyware, plus Microsoft's native software firewall is all that most home users need. They are all free, guaranteed compatable with your system, and simple to use. I use them both myself.

You can get MSE here: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/default.aspx

881 Posts

September 10th, 2010 17:00

In addition to Joe's very good advice: I can only add my PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS. I am not an expert. I am the resident McAffe Opponent. But only because it caused me so much trouble! I got rid of a 15 month subscription and switched to the free version of Avast!. I also use the Window's Firewall and several other anticrud programs that the good folks here pointed me to. (i.e. Web of Trust, SuperAntiSpyware, Winpatrol and Spyware Blaster.)

But if McAfee works for you and you don't mind spending the money use it by all means. I would rather put the $60 towards a new toy! I have my eye on this 2TB HDD.............

I would suggest that you do some homework; at least consider some of the free AV's out there - there are several that rate near the top sometimes better rated than the paid software.

Just my two cents.

Jeff :emotion-22:

8 Posts

September 10th, 2010 18:00

Thanks Joe53,

I did check out those links you suggested.  They were kind of confusing for a novice like me but I was able to get the gist of most of it.  I will do more research into other types of protection and decide before my subscription expires.

Thanks Jeff for your input, I have some research to do.  If I get stuck I may have to call on your knowledge/expertise again.

20.5K Posts

September 10th, 2010 18:00

Let us know if you need step-by-step instructions on removal of McAfee or installation of Microsoft Security Essentials. MSSE has a very simple interface, updates automatically, and has done well in tests.

No Events found!