Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2013 14:00

New computer and McAfee Live Safe

Hello

The computer that I am typing this on is a Dell XPS 400 that I put on-line back in March of 2006. It has always done everything that I have asked it to do and I have no complaints. But over the last couple of month's, it has started showing me signs that it is getting old and a little bit tired. For instance, I also have the problem of going to the Microsoft Windows Update site and waiting for an hour or more to connect and get the list of updates I need to install. Plus in April, 2014, Microsoft will not be supporting this OS with security updates, thus making it more risky to continue to put it on-line. So I am in the process of trying to decide what I would want if I purchased a new computer.

I am leaning towards a XPS 8700, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit. I thought about getting Windows 8 and upgrading to 8.1, but not sure I can handle the learning curve of going from Windows XP to Windows 8.1. When looking at these computer's on the Dell web site I see that they come with McAfee Live Safe already loaded in the OS. It is a 1 year subscription.

When I bought this XPS 400, I took it to a computer shop and had them load up the system, but this time I want to try and do this myself. Have no idea what I'm getting into so I do have a couple of questions. I do not want to have McAfee as my anti-virus program. This XPS 400 came with McAfee and I had nothing but trouble with it. In fact, I came to this Forum and received help in getting it completely removed from the OS. What I want to have is MSE, WinPatrol Plus, MBAM Pro, and Spyware Blaster.

When I turn the computer On for the first time and it start's doing it's thing, will McAfee be already installed or will I have the option to not install it? If I do not install it, do I still have to uninstall it?  If I do need to uninstall, do I do it in the ADD/Remove Program?  Does it have to be installed before it can be uninstalled?  I plan on having the MSE exe. and the McAfee MCPR removal utility loaded on a USB stick so I won't have to go on Internet to get them, and will install MSE as soon as I deal with McAfee.

Any help or hint's as to what is going to happen if I do this myself will be very much appreciated. 

LKW198

20.5K Posts

December 26th, 2013 15:00

When I turn the computer On for the first time and it start's doing it's thing, will McAfee be already installed
It will be installed, but not registered to you yet.
If I do not install it, do I still have to uninstall it?
Yes.
 If I do need to uninstall, do I do it in the ADD/Remove Program?
No, on Windows 7 you will use Programs and Features to uninstall a program.
Does it have to be installed before it can be uninstalled?
As I mentioned above, it will be installed but not activated and registered to you.

McAfee uninstalls more cleanly if you do not activate and register it, than if you used it and kept it updated for a period of time.

Having said all that, if for some reason you cannot get a system with Windows 7, that will expire as well in the future, I would go with Windows 8.1. That has an anti-virus/anti-spyware (MSE/Defender) built into it. There is a bit of a learning curve, but with a few tweaks it can be made to look very similar to Windows 7.

WinPatrol Plus, MBAM Pro, and Spyware Blaster will all work with Windows 7 and 8.1.

20.5K Posts

December 26th, 2013 16:00

[Edit]: Oops, I see Bb beat me, but I'll let my reply stand as we are pretty much in agreement, and my system is so similar to the one you are considering.
:emotion-2: Yes, I've done that on about a dozen new systems of various models and brands for people-- Windows 7,  and 8. Same procedure. As long as you don't activate it, simply remove McAfee as it comes to you on the desktop out of the box.  * Note, once you have installed MSE and made sure the Windows firewall is running don't forget to get your Windows updates. Quite a few of those have been for security as well. MBAM and the others can be added once Windows has been updated.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 26th, 2013 16:00

Hi LKW198:

A couple of years ago, I bought a Dell XPS 8300 desktop, also with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. (The XPS 8700 you are looking at seems very similar). Mine came with a version of McAfee AV pre-installed for one year. (There was no option to decine this at time of purchase).

Setting up the system proved fairly straight-forward. McAfee was already installed. As I recall, I just avoided activating McAfee AV, as I also preferred MSE and the Windows firewall. My first move was to then uninstall McAfee, via Control Panel>Programs and Features (no longer called "Add or Remove Programs"). Re-booted, and ran the McAfee uninstall tool for good measure.

I then installed MSE and the other security layers I wanted, including all you mentioned, without any problems, before I went online. Took the precaution of rebooting after each program was installed.

In short, unless Dell or McAfee have changed things significantly, your proposed plan is more or less what I did. I should add that I have no beef against McAfee, I've just preferred MSE plus MBAM Pro on my Win 7 systems for some time now.

BTW, looking at the specs of the XPS 8700, I'm impressed.

Good luck!

[Edit]: Oops, I see Bb beat me, but I'll let my reply stand as we are pretty much in agreement, and my system is so similar to the one you are considering.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 26th, 2013 22:00

* Note, once you have installed MSE and made sure the Windows firewall is running don't forget to get your Windows updates. Quite a few of those have been for security as well. MBAM and the others can be added once Windows has been updated.

Good points I forgot to mention.

It's funny how  memory plays tricks on you after a certain age. I actually had forgotten a fair bit of grief I'd experienced installing this W7 system, documented here:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3522/t/19377740.aspx?pi239031352=1

What I actually did first after installing the OS was to image my primary hard drive to an external backup hard drive, using the free Win 7 native backup utility. I did this before uninstalling or installing anything else.  I then managed to kill my internet connection somehow. Possibly by uninstalling McAfee Security Center via the usual method, installing MSE, then running the McAfee uninstall tool (rather than installing MSE after running the McAfee removal tool).

Attempts to fix this using System Restore, the factory re-installation from the hidden partition, or the Win 7 re-installation DVD failed me. Fortunately restoring the backup image from  my external hard drive saved my bacon. I then proceeded as described in previous posts, which went smoothly thereafter. (If  I remember only the "smooth" parts, it's because this system has worked so well ever since!)

What I learned from this experience was the value of  creating a backup image of a new OS before changing software. I've installed my fair  share of  OSs over time without trouble, but this was the first time I made an image first, and it certainly paid off.

As an aside, Dell (along with most major vendors) pre-installs a lot of  other software you might not want. I suggest you examine your "Programs and Features", do a bit of research, and uninstall anything you don't need.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 27th, 2013 05:00

LKW,

If you intend to keep your old system around, and want to confront the issue of Windows Updates searching for over an hour:

I read an alleged work-around [which I haven't tested yet, but intend to try next month]... and that's to DIRECTELY install each month's Cumulative Update for IE first, SEPARATELY:

for example, this month's IE update was MS13-097, located here:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms13-097

If you go to that summary/explanation page, and scroll down to affected software, you'll see individual links in the Component column, for each OS/IEVersion#.   for example, assuming you're current (i.e., running IE8 and SP3), you'd look under IE8 / WinXPSp3, which this month, takes you to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41404 

Download and run/install this update.   Reboot if required.

And THEN, go to windows updates to search for the remaining updates for the month.

No guarantee, but I'm hoping this will work for you guys... myself... and others... next month.

Comment:  One of the regulars here, Ron, encountered an additional problem that BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service ) was either missing (not installed), or not running, on his system.   I believe after activating it, he was able to use the method I mentioned to obtain his Microsoft Updates.

48 Posts

December 27th, 2013 06:00

Bugbatter & joe53

Thank you both for your response's to my question's. I now know what to do, and not to do, when it comes to removing McAfee and installing MSE. You both have brought up thing's that I hadn't thought about, and if I had, wasn't sure when to do them. Am going to make myself a list of do's and don't based off the information in your post's so I won't forget them.

I do appreciate your taking the time to help me out.

LKW198 

48 Posts

December 27th, 2013 07:00

ky331

Yes, I do want to keep this computer up and running and on-line for as long as I can and it is safe to do so. That is why I have been coming to this Forum every day to follow the post's that you and the other regular's here post in regard's to security issues that I may need to know about. And I have been following the discussion on this Forum that has been ongoing the past couple of month's in regard's to this possible work around that you have posted, to speed up the process of getting the updates for Windows XP. I think I can follow direction's fairly well so will see what happen's come next Microsoft Tuesday. 

Thank you for taking the time to respond. 

LKW198 

No Events found!