Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

BO

June 7th, 2006 16:00

Norton Antivirus 2006 problems in "Limited" Windows XP user account.

Howdy,

I have two (2) regular user accounts on a Dell 2400 running XP SP2. One is an adminstrator account for me. The other is a limited account for my assistant.

I logged on to the administrator account and installed Norton Antivirus 2006. Then I used live update to bring it up to date. Then I did a complete scan.

The problem is that when we log on to the limited account, we get the following error message:

"Norton AntiVirus configuration is not complete. You must have administrator privileges to complete the configuration process."

Then we have to click the OK button for that to go away.

I have Norton Antivirus 2006 loaded on another machine set up just like this, with one account administrative and the other limited. On that machine I have no problem.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Buzz

35 Posts

June 7th, 2006 18:00

Norton tech support via chat recommended the instructions contained in this article.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nav.nsf/docid/2004032510222206

Unfortunately, for the information of those who might encounter this in the future, the instructions in the article are incomplete and inaccurate, and the process only created other problems. After following the instructions, I found myself having to uninstall and reinstall Norton Anitvirus 2006 agagin (for about the sixth time). I am in the process of the reinstall at present.

Buzz

183 Posts

June 16th, 2006 15:00

Hi Buzz,

I had similar problems and decided to shop for a new product. I did a lot of reading and tested several products before I changed over to an ESET product called NOD32.

If the product you are using is working now that is indeed good news. However, if you decide in the future to shop for a new anti-virus product I would consider using NOD32.

I have found it to be very fast on scans and detection. NOD32 found problems other software missed. It may be worth your looking into sometime in the future. Attached link to the ESET homepage and check out some of the data. I think you will have a favorable view. In the future you may want to consider this product.

http://www.eset.com/index.php

35 Posts

June 16th, 2006 23:00

Thanks, dxernnj.

It turned out that I had something in my registry leftover from Norton Antivirus 2005.

Under normal circmustances, NAV consists of two parts: 1) NAV, itself, and 2) Live Update. When you uninstall NAV, it's done in two stages: first you uninstall NAV, and then you uninstall Live Update.

But I found that when I launched Add/Remove Programs, I had three rather than two pieces of NAV software to uninstall.

I somehow located some instructions for removing the right registry keys, or something like that.

After I did that, I reinstalled NAV 2006, and everything worked great.

Buzz

183 Posts

June 17th, 2006 11:00

Buzz,

Thanks for the note and glad to know things are well in the computer world.

dxernnj

43 Posts

June 19th, 2006 20:00

Here is a reliable tool by symantec to remove quote from symantec:

"The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2006/2005/2004/2003 products from your computer"

Symantec Tool
No Events found!