Start a Conversation

Unsolved

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 4th, 2019 16:00

Piriform - watch out!

I ran Piriform's Speccy to check some PC hardware stats and temps today.

Hadn't used Speccy in a while and there was a link for a new, updated version. I clicked the link and it ran the update.

BUT, without any warnings or permission, it installed Google Chrome and Google toolbar on my PC and set Chrome to be default browser.  How dare they?!? 

Fortunately, I used Revo to remove that stuff. Revo launched Google's own uninstaller but it left a bunch of files on my PC which Revo was able to remove. Makes me suspicious of the files Google's uninstaller left behind...

5.8K Posts

October 4th, 2019 18:00

I haven't trusted Piriform since ownership changed hands back in 2017. At that time it was hacked (possibly by disgruntled employees).

Since then Piriform has bundled unwanted software with CCleaner updates, so I'm not surprised to see the same with Speccy (which I also find a useful utility).

But with utilities that are not related to security I no longer update unless the version I'm using has a documented problem and a fix.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 5th, 2019 18:00

@joe53   - I hear you about doing these updates...

The version of Speccy I had was really old, ~2014. So I figured it might be time to grab the latest version since I want to use it to monitor temps on the video card I just installed which is running much hotter than the old one which failed and had to be replaced.

Never dreamed they'd install any other 'stuff' without permission or notification. I didn't find out until Chrome opened itself, also without asking, and wanted me to setup or log into a Google account. NO THANKS!!

No Events found!