Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 27th, 2004 17:00

Please Help with virus??

My computer is  very slow going from page to page when surfing practically any website, and forget about trying to open an attachment such as a pic. I have run the following programs(or tried to) without any success. Any guidence would be most appreciated!!!

Symantic/Norton Ani Virus:   Received the following message;
"Live Update downloaded all of the update you requested, but all of them failed to install. Please try to get te update at a later time."

CWShredder v. 2.12 (latest):  Received the following message;
"Congratulations-no infection found!"

hijackthis_sfx (downloaded 12/24/04):  Received the following message;
"hijackthis_sfx.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

IE6.Ospl-KB (Service Pak for Windows XP):  Received the following message;
"The version of Internet Explorer you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install." 

APL Security Edition 9.0 (won't run): Received the following message;
"Do you want to allow software such as ActiveX controls and plug-ins to run?"

When I attempted to install the AOL Computer Check UP the result  was a message:
"Could not validate: 10000AOLCCUS.udp,3,14

Hijackthis won't run as well as some others, and what will run doesn'y see anything wrong cause its buried so deep?! What should I do to restore proper function! Thank you!

8.8K Posts

December 27th, 2004 18:00

Let's start from the begining here:

Go to this sight http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/enterprise.htm and do an online scan and delete whatever it finds. Be sure to highlight the drives you want to have searched.

After that could you please go to http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html and download AdAwareSE and delete what it finds. Then while using AdAware, click on add-ons and get their plug-in for the VX2 variant, and run that and delete what it finds.
After that go to http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html and download SpyBot and run that and delete what it finds.

Now go to http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html and download HiJackThis to its own folder that you create on your C:/ drive.
After it is downloaded open the program, or you have the newest very click on the Scan and Save to Log button.
When that is done, click on Save to log.
Post the log that it generates right here so that it maybe viewed and analyzed for problems.

Thanks
Steve

4.8K Posts

December 27th, 2004 20:00

DD5a4a,

Can you run HiJackThis from "Safe Mode"? Which operating system are you using?

Mike.

4.8K Posts

December 28th, 2004 15:00

DD5a4a,

Can you download those programs from another computer, burn them onto a cd-r (be sure to finalize the disc), then install them on the problem pc?

Mike.

9 Posts

December 28th, 2004 15:00

When I attempted to download Ad-Aware SE Personal the following msg appeared;

"Could not initialize installation. File size expected=2636408, size returned=117026."

When I attempted to download Trend Micro HouseCall the T-Ball Logo never appeared even after several attempts.

I already had Spybot which was recomended by Texruss back in April. It can find no bots at all.

BTW my OS is Windows XP.

You suggested to go to majorgeeks and  "download HijackThis to its own folder and Midnight Star suggests running HijackThis from "Safw Mode." I 'm a real novice here and don't know how to do these things. If you could walk me through exactly what steps are necessary to accomplish this It would be greatly appreciated.

Whatever is living within my system  is wise and won't allow me to download any programs designed to eradicate them! It either won't allow the download or if the program is able to download it won't allow them to run. So, how do I get these programs into my computer?

I am also experiencing 2 other annoying probs. When I click the mouse to go somewhere else the cursor jumps out of position by itself. When I type in a domain name and clock "GO" noting happens. I either must highlight the domain name and then click "GO" or I must hit the "GO" key numerous times. Then the screen gets bogged down with that many requests and takes forever. Lastly, when I sign on to Verizon Broadband DSL it now takes at least three (3) attempts to get connected unlike before I began to experience any problems when it only took one time.

Any guidance and wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

9 Posts

December 28th, 2004 19:00

Mike,

It might be possible to do this with a friend of mine but in case it isn't how else could it be accomplished.?

4.8K Posts

December 28th, 2004 20:00

DD4a5a,

Try system restore and see if that can take you back far enough to where you can download the programs you need.

If you think that malware is responsible, then use msconfig and disable everything your not familar with. Since there's no way I can see what's running on your system, I can't help you there - just do the best you can.

You can also try to do a repair installation of the operating system and see if any system files have been corrupted.

Mike.

No Events found!