Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

JT

October 4th, 2010 21:00

Preinstalled McAfee Security Center Activation

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1545 in 2007 (according to my System Information). It came with various programs preinstalled of course, and a few discs for reinstalling them. But what I'm chiefly concerned about is my McAfee Security Center, which came preinstalled, and with no disc. I can't seem to activate it. I right click on the icon in my task bar, and click 'Activate Product'. It brings up a window for activation. There are two different 'dots' that I can fill in, either the one that says, 'I already have an existing McAfee account' (which I do), or the one that says, 'I do not have a McAfee account'. I have an online McAfee account, so I choose the first one, and put in my email address and password, and click 'I Agree' on the 'End User License Agreement' (which I don't quite understand in the first place), so I can continue. The window then changes and says:

'To complete activating your PC protection, log in to your McAfee account. You can log in using the email address and password that you entered when you activated your McAfee products or created your McAfee account online.'

It then tells me that if I'm unable to activate it I should contact McAfee Customer Support and mention the support code and Dell tag that they give in the window. I contacted McAfee customer support, but they couldn't resolve my problem.

Please help, anyone, if you can!

881 Posts

October 4th, 2010 21:00

It sounds as though you are trying to activate a McAfee subscription that has expired. You said that you got the system with the software pre-installed in '07. How long was the subscription?? Is McAfee running on the machine now? Has it ever?

Jeff :emotion-22:

20.5K Posts

October 5th, 2010 05:00

As Jeff mentioned, we need more details. What have you been using for anti-virus since 2007?

October 5th, 2010 11:00

That could be it, I suppose. But it is running still. It says I still have 10 days of protection, and that to continue it I need to activate the product.

October 5th, 2010 11:00

I've hardly been using any anti-virus programs, I suppose. I've had a few small things, but nothing like McAfee. McAfee is still running now, but only for another 10 days. Then I suppose it's going to shut down if I don't activate it by then?

20.5K Posts

October 5th, 2010 12:00

It seems as if the only thing that is "running" is the prompt asking you to activate, and that your trial version no longer applies because it has been three years and you never registered it.

Why don't you remove McAfee and install one of the free antivirus programs. such as Microsoft Security Essentials that updates automatically?

See this page for a video of how to uninstall McAfee by using the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR.exe) on Windows 2000/XP
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Please see these pages for

LISTS OF FREE SECURITY SOFTWARE  

FREE SECURITY SOFTWARE

October 5th, 2010 13:00

No, I think it's still running. At least for now. I've run a few scans, and it's even rid my computer of viruses in the past few days. But I doubt I'm going to be able to activate this thing in time.

I will be removing the McAfee Security Center from my PC, and downloading some other security programs.

Thank you for your help.

20.5K Posts

October 5th, 2010 15:00

No, I think it's still running. At least for now. I've run a few scans, and it's even rid my computer of viruses in the past few days
Perhaps I do not understand how McAfee can be running, staying updated, scanning, and removing viruses if it was never activated/registered. When Dell installs an anti-virus, it needs to be activated, and your email address and name registered with the vendor before it is fully functional.

IF there were viruses on there, it is entirely possible that the malware has blocked McAfee. If you find, after installing new security, that you are still having problems with your computer, let us know.

October 5th, 2010 16:00

Yeah, I don't really get it either. But either way, I've got Microsoft Security Center and other virus protection now, and my computer is working fine. It would have been nice to have McAfee up and running correctly, but I'll do fine without it. My PC is doing great.

Thanks for all of your help!

20.5K Posts

October 5th, 2010 18:00

You're welcome. I assume you ran the McAfee Removal Tool.

I think you will like Microsoft Security Essentials.  :emotion-1:

October 5th, 2010 18:00

No, I'm not going to remove McAfee until it expires, just to be on the 'safe' side. :emotion-1:

But yes, I am liking the Microsoft Security Essentials so far. I'm a very big Microsoft supporter anyways, but I honestly didn't know they had any such security program until you mentioned it.

So, once again, thanks for all the help. :emotion-1: I like this whole Dell Community thing. Very helpful.

881 Posts

October 5th, 2010 19:00

Running two AV programs at once is NEVER a good idea. That isn't being on the "safe side" - it is asking for a whole new set of troubles!

Jeff:emotion-22:

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

October 5th, 2010 20:00

J.T:

Jeff is correct, running more than one Anti-virus can cause conflicts that actually degrade your security. I would uninstall McAfee in the manner described ASAP.

If your McAfee security came with a firewall, it will also be removed when you uninstall. You will want to be sure your Windows firewall is enabled in Windows Control Panel>Security Center.

October 5th, 2010 22:00

Thanks again, all. I will be sure to remove my McAfee software at once.

Thanks!:emotion-1:

No Events found!