Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

May 9th, 2019 14:00

Question About AdBlock Plus

Just recently, on my computer that works fine except for the keyboard, I have noticed that ads have started to appear. Since I have not changed any settings because I can't, not sure what is going on. AdBlock Plus works fine if I am still using the interface with MSN.com. I can still access most sites with that connection. If I go to Firefox, it appears that anything that is controlled by Google, which I believe YouTube is, has started to have ads, most of which I can opt out of after 5 seconds. They have even appeared in my TV program guide, which is TitanTV.com. Is it just me, or are "they" trying to force the issue of ads? One more question about that key board issue. It's still there, but I don't need it use I need to write something, which I can do on my back up. From what I have gathered by some research, it would appear that using the REPAIR option in F8 would require a whole new install. Is that correct? This weekend I am going to run the Dell Diagnostic and see if it finds the problem. I am trying make paragraph breaks here...will see if they show up.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

May 18th, 2019 15:00

Hi David....

The system I need the updated version of FF on is the older computer the keyboard problem. I don't have FF installed as the default on it, just use it when needed, but when I click on the 3 dots there is no Help or an About option. So I will have to download the latest version onto a flash drive and then install FF on the old computer.

Not sure if the version I have listed above will work.  If and when I can get a good version installed, will it preserve my bookmarks and Most Visited sites tab.  

EDIT:

Just saw your updated comment directly above, I will try to see if I can pull up an older version of this ad blocker. All this tinkering around trying to get things to work is good mental exercise for my tired old mind! 

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 9th, 2019 15:00

Ad-Block Plus requires a separate installation in each of your browsers:  

So if you're "switching" to FF, make sure you have Ad-Block Plus installed there.   For what it's worth, I'm using uBlock Origin in FF https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

May 10th, 2019 08:00

Thanks for the info. I would have to use a flash drive to get it off this good computer, and then download it onto FF on the bad keyboard one, where the mouse works OK. I notice on the download page there is an option to "Download For Firefox". Would that instruction carry over to the copy on the flash drive. or would I have to click on a certain part on the FF front page to have it install? Thanks again for any help!

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 10th, 2019 08:00

With Firefox, a mouse click on the extension you want (be it AdBlock Plus or uBlock origin) should allow you to directly download AND INSTALL that extension.   (You will probably also have to mouse-click to confirm/allow the installation).

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

May 18th, 2019 06:00

I tried to install uBlock Origin yesterday on the other computer, but it says my version of FF needs to be upgraded. Poking around I could not find an option or place to go to where FF offers to update to a new version. Will I need to need to download FF to a flash drive and install it that way. As always, thanks for any advice.

The ads are not be deal, but after several years with none, I cannot believe how they have proliferated on so many sites now, and they all come through on FF, which is not my default browser. I still can get to most sites on IE9, and I like because it preserves my Favorites over on the left side where I can easily reach them.  

I was able to get post this comment in RICH TEXT, not sure why it doesn't display ALL the time. We'll see if it makes paragraph breaks! :Confused:

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

May 18th, 2019 06:00

Yes to paragraph breaks, no to emoticons! :(

Or did I just create one with simple keystrokes??

This site is totally weird. And I able to EDIT. Wonders never cease.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

May 18th, 2019 10:00

This forum's erratic actions and difficulties in navigation have become, for me, just about too much to deal with, and I have restarted my membership on SpywareHammer, so I can get answers on various computer topics and issues. Any recommendations on similar sites would be welcome. But I have one more question for today, and it is related to the above topic. I want to install an updated ad blocker on my computer that has the keyboard issue. FF says I have an outdated version of FF there that won't allow uBlock Origin to download. But on the computer I writing this on I have no idea how to get it to download to the flash drive instead of the Downloads tab. This computer uses Windows 7, which I know is being phased out before long. Guess I am going to have to study up on Windows 10 before I am forced to make the switch. As always, appreciate all suggestions and help.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

May 18th, 2019 10:00

Not able to edit above post, but after some more searching and fooling around I discovered the option to have the program download onto the flash drive.

What's appearing on the flash drive is:

Firefox Installer   and

Firefox Portable_55.0.5_English.paf[1]

Should I install both or do I need more

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 18th, 2019 11:00

Dale,

If you're on a Win7 system, the current version of FF is 66.0.5 (unless you're using an ESR - Extended Support Release version).   You should be able to update FF internally by clicking on HELP, and then About Firefox.

EDIT:   Based on your mention of FF 55, I'm now assuming you're working on your Vista system.   I'm not 100% sure about Vista, but I know that for XP, the last FF version was 52.9.0 ESR.   And for that, the last compatible uBlock Origin was 1.17.4

While uBlock recommends you use the latest version, you can still install older versions.   You can go to https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/tag/1.17.4 and scroll down to click on the link to uBlock0.firefox.xpi

FF will still tell you that "uBlock Origin could not be verified for use in Firefox.   Proceed with caution".   All I can say is that it's working on my XP system.

4 Posts

August 6th, 2020 20:00

I switched to over to Ublock Origin several years ago from adblock and have been very happy with it. If you continue having any issues, you might want to try that one out. Works really well and easy to turn on and off for a particular site if they require you to unblock ads to see their content. 

No Events found!