Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

December 14th, 2008 07:00

Question About Avast Scans

When the scan finishes there a list of files/registry entries that comes up that "cannot be scanned". Not sure what the reason behind this is but was wondering if it would be OK to delete them. This happens on both the XP and the Vista computers. The Last Scan Reports and the View Scan Reports are grayed out so I can't provide a sample of the types of files from the last scan...unless there is another way to view them. Thanks for any help...

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 14th, 2008 09:00

Dale,

typically (but not always), the "cannot be scanned" represents other security program's quarantine areas, such as SpyBot's and SuperAntiSpyware's:   when these programs place a file into their quarantine, it gets "encrypted" into a form where the file cannot inflict any further damage to your system.   the "encypted" form is often "password protected" --- and this is how avast will report it to you --- so that it cannot be "accidentally" released from the quarantine... that is to say, by any program, other than the one (SpyBot, SAS) that put it there in the first place.

avast should have supplied you with information on the path of these files, and the reason (e.g., "password protected") why it could not be scanned.   if you wish... and if you're sure these are things you'll never want to put back... you can go into SpyBot/SAS [or whatever other program is doing the quarantining] and REMOVE/DELETE them from quarantine.   then avast will no longer find them.

it's possible, however, that there are other kinds of files that avast will not be able to scan... for example, I have a file that's part of an income tax program, that avast won't scan because it's a "decompression bomb"!!   however, that file is indeed legitmate and should not be removed.

in other words, you should NOT simply delete EVERYTHING that avast says it can't scan.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

December 14th, 2008 15:00

There are only couple hundred of them and the amount doesn't seem to increase, and they seem to be harmless, so will just let them sit.

During the same scan Avast caught the virus Win32:Fasec[Trj],  which infected wJQs.exe and got on my system somehow even though I have set the program to automatic updates. The file wJQs.exe is under my running processes and has something to do with Java I believe.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 14th, 2008 17:00

Dale,

JQS.exe (without the lead W) is [presumably] Java Quick Start --- but I have no idea what the file WJQS.exe might be.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

December 15th, 2008 07:00

OK...after cleaning my glasses, it does show up in the Processes as just JQS.exe.  On the Avast event log it shows up as wJQs.exe. Guess I am OK. At any rate, nice to be back to some semblance of a forum. :emotion-1:

No Events found!