Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2010 17:00

Question about anti-virus

I have a question about what to do when you've removed a virus. A trojan virus infected a friends Dell Inspiron 2200 and they didn't have a very good anti-virus program. The virus attacked .exe and .dll files and others. I was able to download AVG and remove the virus and all infected files have been quarantined and the mal-ware infected files (about 5 files) were deleted. I was wondering if there was any way to restore those files without losing all the programs that are installed. Some programs can't run because of missing files(obviously)(I can't even change the background image on the comp screen!). System restore does not even work either. Am I going to have to reinstall Windows and lose all programs?? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2010 20:00

Welcome to Dell Community :emotion-1:

If you are still having that many problems, there is may still be some infection in there.

#1. You said the old AV wasn't very good. Did you remove it before installing AVG? If not, AVG may not be as efficient as it could be.

#2. As far as residual damage, once the malware has been removed, you can try to re-install the programs that were corrupt. As a follow-up, after reinstalling those programs, you could try posting a log on the Malware Removal Forum.

The trained analysts who volunteer on the Malware Removal forum have tools that will remove and often times replace infected program files and system files if a back-up can be found on the system. It is more difficult to do this manually, but it can be done if someone is willing to spend the time. It may even be too late to do anything because we have no idea exactly how much damage was done without knowing what changes were made to the system by the malware and by those two anti-virus programs. Some pre-cleaning diagnostic logs would have been helpful.

September 2nd, 2010 22:00

Thank you for the info Bugbatter :)

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2010 22:00

You're most welcome.  :emotion-1:

No Events found!