Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2014 12:00

Recognizing and Reporting Phishing and Whaling Attempts

Regarding the article "Social Engineering – Recognizing Phishing / Whaling attempts" http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3522/t/19599150
our friends at SpywareHammer, have a forum dedicated to Discussion and Reporting of Phishing and Spam.

Some of you may remember when Bugbatter and other DCF veterans, currently running SpywareHammer, had a nationally recognized program at CastleCops that reported spam and phishing attempts to authorities. They have continued this project at SpywareHammer.

Resources and additional information:

http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php/board,88.0.html?PHPSESSID=17otnlc8j15rd6q229fb3k7av5

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/03/27/1499269.htm

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/castlecops-celebrates-five-years-quotphightingquot-phish

Z

1 Message

September 17th, 2014 17:00

Just got my first call from "Dell Tech Support" (not "Microsoft"). Did a ROFLMAO because I went a number of rounds with the real Dell support the first year owning this PC. They ALWAYS used a Dell site for their tech support.

He wanted me to go to a non-Dell site--so that was the key he was a fake Dell caller.

No way to notify Dell of the problem.

He knew my Dell-issued tech support ID key. That would trip up a lot of people into thinking he was really from Dell--so that could mean Dell was hacked and the IDs were stolen, along with client info. How else would the fake Dell caller know to call my telephone number and associate it with that Dell service ID?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

September 18th, 2014 05:00

"He knew my Dell-issued tech support ID key. That would trip up a lot of people into thinking he was really from Dell--so that could mean Dell was hacked and the IDs were stolen, along with client info. How else would the fake Dell caller know to call my telephone number and associate it with that Dell service ID?"

I am bringing this thread to the attention of a DeLL liaison/moderator, Dell-RobertP, who may contact you as necessary.

==============================================================================

EDIT:   Robert is unavailable for the next few days... I'm not sure if someone else will step-in, or if he'll contact you when he can.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 18th, 2014 12:00

I got a call from the "Computer Maintenance Department" the other morning. Somebody with non-US accent:

CMD> Your computer sent out a distress message and we're calling to help you fix it.

Me> My PC isn't turned on [true; off for at least 12 hours]

CMD> Doesn't matter. PC can still waked up and sent distress message

Me> My PC is turned off at the surge protector [true] so it can't wake up.

CMD> Yes it can...

Me> ROFL :emotion-2:   :emotion-2:  :emotion-2:  :emotion-2:  :emotion-2:  :emotion-2:

9.4K Posts

September 19th, 2014 05:00

Just got my first call from "Dell Tech Support" (not "Microsoft"). Did a ROFLMAO because I went a number of rounds with the real Dell support the first year owning this PC. They ALWAYS used a Dell site for their tech support.

He wanted me to go to a non-Dell site--so that was the key he was a fake Dell caller.

No way to notify Dell of the problem.

He knew my Dell-issued tech support ID key. That would trip up a lot of people into thinking he was really from Dell--so that could mean Dell was hacked and the IDs were stolen, along with client info. How else would the fake Dell caller know to call my telephone number and associate it with that Dell service ID?

Hi JerryAB2,

Thanks for posting.  While there are a lot of companies out there who are acting like they are Dell employees, they usually aren't.  Seems like it's a lot easier today to masquerade as someone else and fool unsuspecting people, so everyone really has to watch out whom they talk to on the phone.  If you didn't call Dell first, then I wouldn't give out any private information, even if they say they have yours already.

Rest assured, that Dell has not been hacked, and we don't give out our customer's private information.  So, if you can send me the phone number the caller was using, the company name, and any other information that our fraud division can use to track down these people, and we will follow up.  You can contact me privately by clicking on my name, then on the next page, click send message.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Robert

1 Message

September 25th, 2014 16:00

Hi Robert        

I had the same call.  I feel that JerryAB2 was correct in his assumption that Dell has lost our personal info to a unscrupulous 3rd party.  I know it would be unwise for a Dell representative to acknowledge that Dell was actually hacked unless it was that employees last day.

In all actuality I have had 4 or 5 of these so called dell support calls.  One of which was during a time period that Dell was trying to repair the infamous "Unable to detect Power Supply" error.  needless to say I have tried differing methods to get the calls to stop with out any results.  this last caller just called just an hour ago and I asked him if he could tell me my IP address.  I am curious as to if he knew what an IP was at this point.  After his insisting that my system with service code $^%&*%* did in fact send him this alert message for the 3rd time I just told him that he was perpetrating a scam and his comment was "Oh My God" and he hung up. next time I am going to fire up a virtual machine and do everything he asks then tell him he was logged into a VM and the hoax was on him.  

The callers Phone Number is :1-700-105-9698  The 700 area code is never a good thing.

1 Message

October 3rd, 2014 13:00

I have received this call several times too.  Always from "Amy" but with a different voice/accent.  The callback number is 800-456-3355 x5135707

No Events found!