Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

June 24th, 2010 11:00

Redirected Searches and Slow Machine

I believe I have been infected with a redirection virus/malware and have tested outcome against another machine.  All security software is updated automatically or before scanning.  Have followed pre-posting instructions (downloaded and run HTJ), and when Analyze This option is run, no records are checked. Currently running apps below.  Thank you in advance for your assistance.

XP SP2 with all updates

IE 7

AVG (purchased) v9.0.837 (virus db 271.1.1/2960)

Malwarebytes 1.46 (v.4219)

Ad-Aware 8.2.5

Spybot S&D 1.6.2.46

20.5K Posts

June 24th, 2010 13:00

Welcome.:emotion-1:

I'm not sure what you mean by "no records are checked".

Quote: "Analyze This is for Trendmicro use, and does not mean "Analyze My Log". You must post on the forum in order to receive an analysis of your log."

Is there a reason why you have not installed SP 3 for Windows XP? If you do not have that, you do not have "all the updates".

Please run HijackThis again, and following the instructions at the top of  the forum, please post your log as a new message. Thanks.

16 Posts

June 24th, 2010 13:00

I ran the HJT Analyze This per the sentence in the instructions just prior to the one you cited. Quote: "Before closing HJT (HiJackThis), please click on the Analyze This button."  Doing this generated a replicate of the log with a check box in front of each line item (record), but none were checked.

I didn't update to SP# originally because of reports of apps instability; since then I haven't had the time to troubleshoot if the upgrade blows up.  Call me a skeptic...

I will re-post the log directly.

20.5K Posts

June 24th, 2010 14:00

That is correct. There should be NO boxes checked in the HijackThis log that is produced. It is for diagnostic purposes only.

Microsoft will end support for SP2 in July. After you are cleaned up, you should consider installing SP3 - especially for security reasons.

No Events found!