Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2011 00:00

Removing IE 9 version "Optimized for Bing and MSN" - Resolved

For anyone else who ended up with the "optimized" version for Win 7, but wants the plain IE 9  version, here is the the solution that worked for me:
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=238700#p238700

As always, YMMV.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

May 21st, 2011 06:00

Joe,

I am very happy that you found a solution to your problem.

When you spoke of having IE "optimized for Bing and MSN", it sounded like there were numerous changes in its default settings that somehow "optimize" IE  for performance with those programs.   Certainly "branding" would be one such token example, but I was assuming it was much more than that.

for future reference (or for others that might want to investigate this further), on the matter of  branding  alone, this should appear as an R1 (or R0??) entry in HiJackThis.   For example, on my wife's desktop, she has "Windows Internet Explorer provided by Yahoo!".   And running an HJT log shows:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Windows Internet Explorer provided by Yahoo!

so checking its box, and having HJT "fix" it, should remove this "branding" (no, I haven't actually tested it).

-------------

Running SpywareBlaster, under Tools, Misc IE Settings, you'll find Internet Explorer Customizations, where you can "Change the text to be displayed after the webpage name in the Internet Explorer Title Bar" --- by typing-in ANYTHING you want to appear, and clicking APPLY.

-----------

Similarly, in SpyBot (1.6) [for anyone who still has it around :emotion-4: ] in ADVANCED mode, under TOOLS , IE tweaks, there is space to include/apply two Internet Explorer custom titles, one for just the current user, or one for all users.

-----------

Note:    Since I have not actually tested/altered any of the above, I do not know whether they will impact the "user-agent string".   I also wish to re-stress that, if there were any "optimization" beyond simply "branding", it would not be impacted at all by the particular HJT/SpywareBlaster/SpyBot settings I've mentioned.

5.8K Posts

May 21st, 2011 14:00

Thanks for that ky.

It might well be that that all that script did was to remove "Optimized for Bing and MSN" from my browser header, which is just cosmetic. I could have tried any of the solutions you mentioned to do that, (assuming they work for IE9 64-bit) but was more concerned about removing the underlying fundamentals of this browser that gave me grief from day one in IE9, (but not, interestingly, in IE8).

Judging by the large numbers of posts out there seeking to get rid of this branded IE for various reasons related to functional problems, I was not alone. And the posted solutions did not work for many, nor for me.

Here is what this branded browser installs for IE8 (I couldn't find the same info for IE9 64-bit):

"Bing & Decide. A decision engine that is the new generation of search. Bing delivers more useful search results that are visually organized so you can make faster, more informed decisions.
MSN Homepage. MSN is the best homepage on the web to stay in the know. Get the latest in entertainment, breaking news, videos, sports highlights and more.
Bing Bar. Bing access from any site you are on along with easy access to the latest news and information from MSN.
(The Bing Bar will install on both IE8 and Firefox)"
Ref: http://ie8.msn.com/microsoft/internet-explorer-8/en-us/ie8.aspx

Changing my homepage from MSN was no problem;  uninstalling the Bing Bar and Bing search engine took a bit of research and time, but I was able to do those also. Uninstalling IE9, and re-installing a fresh download from the MS download site still showed I had a branded browser, so obviously my uninstall didn't remove all the traces.

All I know is that I finally have the plain IE9 I initially wanted, that works. One shouldn't have to jump through all these hoops to get it. And I suspect the heavy hand of Dell pre-installed junkware played a major roll in my woes.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

May 21st, 2011 15:00

Joe,

this is gonna change the topic somewhat... but a "tangential" question for you [or anyone else that cares to answer it]:

as an introduction, for those who don't have or don't know,  the terms 32-bit and 64-bit can refer to both the operating system (XP, Vista, and win7), or to the version of the IE-browser.  

the 32-bit versions of operating systems only offer/support corresponding 32-bit versions of the IE browser.  

In contrast, for those who have a 64-bit operating system, you will find it contains TWO separate versions of IE --- a 32-bit version as well as a 64-bit version.

It is [or at least, used to be] the case that some browser add-ons [various toolbars and active-X controls] were only available for the 32-bit version of IE:   "For example, when you start the Setup program for the 32-bit 'gobbledygook' toolbar in the 64-bit version of Internet Explorer, the 'gobbledygook' Setup program closes the 64-bit Internet Explorer window. The 'gobbledygook' Setup program opens a new 32-bit Internet Explorer window when setup is completed. The 'gobbledygook'  toolbar appears [only] in the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer, and the toolbar works correctly. The 32-bit 'gobbledygook'  toolbar is not installed in the 64-bit version of Internet Explorer".

I know that Java separately offers both a 32-bit version as well as a 64-bit version.   Java users need to install it in each of their IE browsers that they use for Java.

Okay, long-winded setup for my question...

while we're headed in that direction, my understanding is that --- for the sake of 'universal' compatibility and optimum exposure --- most websites currently maintain only 32-bit display-mechanisms, viewable in 32-bit browsers [which EVERYONE has available, even if they're running a 64-bit operating system].   In contrast, not everything is viewable in 64-bit browsers... in particular, if the webpage depends on a 32-bit-only plugin for it to be displayed.

So have you encountered any essential uses for your 64-bit version IE browser (i.e., that won't display in its 32-bit counterpart)?   Have you encountered any pages that WON'T display in your 64-bit IE browser, that WILL display if you invoke the 32-bit version?

[I've read that the 64-bit version of IE is faster than the 32-bit version... which you may or may not be able to confirm.   But I'm not really interested in their relative speed in asking this question... just trying to understand when use of the 64-bit version is essential (or at least, "beneficial") --- and when it must by bypassed in favor of its 32-bit relative.]

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

May 22nd, 2011 05:00

Here'e one current example:   I know you have Flash installed on your computer, since you use the Secunia PSI.

FLASH is only available in 32-bit browsers   http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html

so if you go to any FLASH-based site in your 64-bit browser, it won't display  http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

can you confirm?

5.8K Posts

An excellent question, as I have both IE9, and IE 9 (64-bit) installed on my new Windows 7 desktop.

I have a fast cable connection. Here are the results for both IE9 and IE9 (64-bit) respectively from speedtest.net:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1307075634.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1307078236.png

As you can see, not much difference.

To be honest, I have no idea why I have both IE9 browsers, or the relative merits of using either. They both work well.

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

If I may ask a question please. When i check on my version of IE 9 it says cipher strength 256 and not 32 or 64. Can someone explain this?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

May 22nd, 2011 06:00

Cypher strength refers to "The number of bits in the key used to encrypt data".   In order to protect your SECURE (https://) information while being transmitted over the internet, it gets encrypted ("coded") by your computer before transfer, and then unencrypted ("decoded") by the receiving computer.   there are various encryption methods available.   "The encryption algorithm uses a "key," which is a binary number that is typically from 40 to 256 bits in length. The greater the number of bits in the key (cipher strength), the more possible key combinations and the longer it would take to break the code".   Most secure sites now require at least 128-bit encryption --- which is what my 32-bit IE8 on XP/SP3 is offering me.   If you have 256-bit encryption, that's FANTASTIC.

5.8K Posts

May 22nd, 2011 12:00

Here'e one current example:   I know you have Flash installed on your computer, since you use the Secunia PSI.

FLASH is only available in 32-bit browsers   http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html

so if you go to any FLASH-based site in your 64-bit browser, it won't display  http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

can you confirm?

To the contrary, I can confirm that Flash Player works in my IE9 (64-bit) browser. The fact that I was able to use Speedtest.net (which requires Flash version 10 or later) to test my connection speed of IE9 64-bit confirms this. Adobe's info needs updating.

I continue to see no real practical differences between the 32 and 64 bit editions of IE9.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

May 22nd, 2011 13:00

Adobe's info needs updating.

Thanks Joe.   Since I don't have any 64-bit systems to access first-hand, I have to go by the literature.   Go figure adobe's own info is so blatantly outdated!!

No Events found!