Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

July 19th, 2010 07:00

SAS finds trojan in Microsft Office

I ran Superantispyware on a new dell. I installed Microsoft Office 2007. When I ran SAS it found a trojan.agent/gen which was identified as" fILES:\PROGRAM FILES(X86)MICROSOFT OFFICE/OPTIONS14/msoo.EXE"  I quarantined this file but am not exactly sure if this may have been a legimate file. Does any one know?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

July 19th, 2010 07:00

The gen (for generic) is the least reliable of detections... and is often prone to report a false positive.   And being a Microsoft file (which could be tampered with or forged, but....)

SAS has a user forum (if you're not already a member, just join), where you can report/question likely false positives:   http://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php?/forum/32-false-positives

EDIT:   You can also submit the file to VirusTotal for analysis:    http://www.virustotal.com/

(to do so, you'll have to remove it from the quarantine, go to virus total, hit the BROWSE button to navigate you way to that file, and SEND it for their analysis.

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

July 19th, 2010 08:00

ky331. I will report/question this file with SAS. Thanks. 

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

for me, the spell check is not working in IE.

but i'm getting an automatic spell check in Firefox (mis-spelled words get a squiggly underline in red)

and in Opera (dotted underline in red).

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

0/41 means that NONE of the anti-virus engines at virus total found a problem with the file.   that includes big-name paid (like McAfee, Norton), as well as free products (avg, avira antivir, avast, and MSE).

that, together with SAS's "generic" detection, virtually guarantees it's a false positive on SAS's part.

Just to double-check one point... if virus total said something like, "we've already scanned the file... do you want to see those results?  or do you want to rescan YOUR copy?" --- i trust that you told them to scan your copy.

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

File MSOO.EXE received on 2010.06.27 23:48:55 (UTC)
Current status: finished

Result: 0/41 (0.00%)
I ran the virus through Virus Total-see above. Does the 0 mean it is a safe file?
I tired to post in the SAS forum and I could not post. I did register. I could see my user name, but was not permitted to post. 

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

I had to confirm my SAS registration. I can post now. 

Why doesn't the spell checker on the forum work?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

i edited my post to add the info about virus total.    i would go there first, it offers over 40 other "opinions" about the file (which you can then link to, when you contact SAS).

No Events found!