Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

March 16th, 2013 20:00

Sandboxie + Avast + 64bit browser incompatibility

There's a compatibility issue running 64-bit browsers with some avast dll's and Sandboxie 3.76.

I use Sandboxie only occasionally, and had never experienced this issue until now.   The difference "now" is due either to my upgrading to Avast8, or to IE10... because those are the system changes since I last used Sandboxie, when all was still good.

Symptom:   Error messages such as

SBIE1151 Cannot handle instruction FF84753E:  D9,89,54,24,40,4C,89,44,24,48,83,64
SBIE2303 Could not hook ChangeServiceConfig2W (2)
SBIE2318 DLL initialization failed for 'sechost.dll'
SBIE1151 Cannot handle instruction 7745F87E: 3E,FF,FF,FF,48,83,C4,38,C3,90,90,90
SBIE2303 Could not hook SetWindowsHookExW (2)
SBIE2318 DLL initialization failed for 'user32.dll' 

Temporary Work Around:

RIGHT-click on the yellow Sandboxie Control icon in your system tray.   Select Show Window / Sandbox / Default Sandbox / Sandbox Settings / Resource Access / File Access / Blocked Access , and Add the following Programs to the exclusions list:

C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\snxhk.dll

C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\snxhk64.dll

[Adjust the path, if necessary, if your avast is located on another drive, or in a different subdirectory.]

Tzuk [the creator of Sandboxie] is aware of this issue, which should be fixed in Sandboxie BETA version 4.01.02

Source:   http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14070 where Tzuk talks about excluding    Avast.dll   files.   He gradually refines this, in successive posts there, going from    *\avast software\avast\*      to      *\avast\*snx*       to       *snx*dll      Using Windows Explorer on my system, I located the two specific files I've cited above that meet this wildcard pattern, and so opted to explicitly exclude only these two.   It seems to be working for me. 

1K Posts

March 17th, 2013 09:00

Thanks David.

I will keep it in mind. Have you reported it to Avast! Forum. I do not see it.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

March 17th, 2013 10:00

Hernan,

No, I have not reported this separately in the avast forum.   From the thread at Sandboxie's forum, it would appear this is NOT a new issue --- it goes back at least 4 months --- and in fact also applied to avast7 when running a 64-bit browser (both IE9 and IE10) under Sandboxie.   Given all the people reporting issues with avast8, I didn't want to exacerbate nor confuse the matters.

I tried searching the avast forum to see if I could find any mention of it, and wasn't successful (at least, in my minimal searching).  Avast searches are returning results referencing avast's sandboxing, rather than distinguishing that from Sandboxie.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

March 17th, 2013 11:00

Just to note that on my Win 7 64 bit system, I use MSE rather than avast, and use IE10. I have had no problems with Sandboxie.

Which does suggest the incompatabilty lies between avast and sandboxie/IE10.

1K Posts

March 17th, 2013 13:00

I tried searching the avast forum to see if I could find any mention of it, and wasn't successful (at least, in my minimal searching).

This is the first for me too. I have not read anything on the matter in Avast! forum either. I know a few who run Sandboxie/Avast!/Win7 so I do not know why it has not been reported earlier. Unless they see it as a Sandboxie problem, and they are waiting for a solution by Sandboxie.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

March 17th, 2013 14:00

"I know a few who run Sandboxie/Avast!/Win7..."

Hernan,

I believe this problem is specifically on 64-bit operating systems, using a 64-bit browser.   In other words, it does not occur on 32-bit versions of the O/S [e.g., 32-bit Win7].   Moreover, for those who have a 64-bit O/S, they must run the 64-bit version of IE in order to experience this issue.

That's why I only discovered it yesterday.   While I have Win7x64, on those occasions I had "played" with IE under Sandboxie, it was using the 32-bit version of IE9.   And that worked just fine.

As noted elsewhere (*), when I upgraded from IE9 to IE10, we discovered that the two separate versions of IE9 we had on our system (a 32-bit and a separate 64-bit) were replaced by a single version of IE10.   It was initially unclear whether this new IE10 was 32-bit or 64-bit.    Based on what's happening now, I would describe it as a "hybrid" version:   

a) I now believe it to indeed be a 64-bit version, based on the conflict it's generating with avast, but

b) it's "tolerating" usage of 32-bit plugins, by DISabling "ENHANCED" Protected Mode by default, while

c) User enabling of "ENHANCED" Protected mode will "release" its true 64-bit power, by DISABLING access to the 32-bit plugins.

I hope this description --- which is based on the result of my testing these features --- makes some sense, and clarifies why people who used 32-bit IE9 under Sandboxie+Avast+Win7x64 never encountered/reported the problem until now.

=============================================================

(*) See http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3522/t/19493143.aspx?PageIndex=2

No Events found!