Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2004 18:00

Sasser after Formatting ???

Please help! I decided to wipe out everyting and reintalled XP to get ride of Sasser. But it is still there! After reinstallation and get back to desktop, the shutdown and re-start cycle started. Is that formating a hard disk will get me a clean start? What I can do now? I called Dell support desk twince and they walked me through twince to reinstall XP. It didn't help at all. I know very little technical terms. Greatly appreciate if anyone can give me some detail and practical advices. 

Thank you in advance,

El 

151 Posts

June 7th, 2004 18:00

When you reformatted did you update windows to the latest security patches? Sasser, blaster, etc are so heavily found in the wild and are constantly scanning, that even waiting 5 minutes after reformatting can cause you to become reinfected immediately.

The firs tthing you should after reformatting a computer is to download the latest critical updates, unplug your cable modem or whatever you use while they are installing, and then do the process all over again until you are fully updated.

As for your problem, when you get that message that you are rebooting, double click on your time in the bottom right corner and change your clock back a year to 2003. This will give you enough time to do the updates.

2K Posts

June 7th, 2004 20:00

Assuming WindowsXP... First thing your should do even before going online and getting those MS updates is to TURN ON THE FIREWALL.

151 Posts

June 7th, 2004 20:00

@ddeerrff wrote:
Assuming WindowsXP... First thing your should do even before going online and getting those MS updates is to TURN ON THE FIREWALL.

Excellent point. If you are using xp, you can read the following tutorial to learn how to enable it.

Configuring Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
No Events found!