The MVPS HOSTS file was recently updated

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Download: hosts.zip (147 kb)
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.zip

How To: Download and Extract the HOSTS file
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts2.htm

HOSTS File - Frequently Asked Questions
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hostsfaq.htm

The MVPS HOSTS file is 100% free, and comes highly recommended. I've used it for years on all my systems with no problems. As the Home Page says,  "You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers. This is accomplished by blocking the connection(s) that supplies these little gems." It is a passive defense that consumes none of your CPU.

94 Posts

November 25th, 2011 05:00

There already is a MVPS Hosts announcement, apparently no one can see it except me. The format that I used is the preferred format in posting unless you just point at the Blog entry msmvps.com/.../1802833.aspx

94 Posts

November 25th, 2011 05:00

2.7K Posts

November 25th, 2011 14:00

I just installed the Hosts file in my Windows 7 64 bit following the directions for Updating the Hosts file in Windows 7. I downloaded the hosts.zip file to my desktop in a folder called Downloads.  I now have a folder called hosts with the files hosts, license, mvps, privacy policy, and readme in my download folder on my desktop. Can I safely delete these?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 25th, 2011 15:00

Annie,

As long as you have run the MVPS (MS-DOS batch) file [as Administrator, and gotten the message that "THE MVPS HOSTS FILE IS NOW UPDATED"], then yes, you can safely delete all of the files you mentioned.

2.7K Posts

November 25th, 2011 16:00

ky331, Thanks I deleted those files.  Annie

2.7K Posts

November 27th, 2011 05:00

I have a question about the MVPS Hosts File that I installed.  This file did install correctly, however I do not think I understood all that it would do. I watch TV programs on Hulu and now none of the commercials play. I only receive the message "Sorry we're unable to load a message from our sponsors,"  which stays on the screen for quite sometime before the TV program starts. I used to use those commercials as a time to multitask and do something else and could tell when my program started again when the commercial ended. Is there a way to let the commercials come through on the HULU site?  

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 27th, 2011 06:00

Annie,

the effect of any HOSTS files (MVPS or otherwise) is to "redirect" web traffic access... [it can redirect access from one site to a different site, but] most commonly, it is used to BLOCK access to various sites (by redirecting attempted traffic to these sites from ever leaving your PC in the first place!).

Quoting from their page:   "You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers... a well designed HOSTS file can speed the loading of web pages by not having to wait for these ads, annoying banners, hit counters, etc. to load. This also helps to protect your Privacy and Security by blocking sites that may track your viewing habits..."

The MVPS HOSTS file is blocking both [some] malware as well as loads of advertisements.   Presumably that's why you're not seeing the commericals on HULU, but are seeing the actual videos there.

"Is there a way to let the commercials come through on the HULU site?"   Yes.   If you know specifically which web site (URL) is generating the commercials, you can edit the HOSTS file (via Notepad), locate the line containing that particular URL, and either delete it or comment-it-out (by placing a # sign at the start of that line).   If the commercials are generated by SEVERAL sites, you will have to delete/coment-out EACH of these sites.   You should make a note for yourself if you do so, as each time the MVPS HOSTS file gets updated, it will replace the entire file (including your personalized changes) with the latest version.

If editing the HOSTS file is not something you want to do regularly, you have the following options:

1) resolve yourself to watching commercial-free HULU videos.

2) remove the HOSTS file completely, so as to allow all the commercials.   Stress that doing so will allow any malware, that was blocked by the HOSTS file, to potentially get through to your system [unless some other  "layer" of your protection catches it].

3) look into alternative HOSTS files, to see if they work any "better" for you.  To cite one such example, there's one called the hpHosts file http://hosts-file.net/?s=Download    [You'll have to test it out... I have no idea whether or not it will block the HULU commercials.]

2.7K Posts

November 27th, 2011 10:00

I appreciate all the information and advice. Editing the hosts file is above and beyond what I would care to do on a regular basis. I certainly do not want to get in too deep here and cause any new problems.  I do have some protection on this computer including many of the same things you are using:  MBAM, SAS, Spyware Blaster, Open DNS, Secuni PSI, WOT and a virus protector and firewall.  I also did some reading before I installed the MVPS Hosts file and no where did I read about commercials not coming through and receivng the 'sorry we're unable to load a message from our sponsors." Of course maybe I missed that somewhere.  I do have instructions for uninstalling so I may try this.  AS always I appreciate your detailed help.  Annie

20.5K Posts

November 27th, 2011 14:00

no where did I read about commercials not coming through and receivng the 'sorry we're unable to load a message from our sponsors."
Annie,  commercials are ads.  One of the goals with a Hosts file is to block ads. You will get the same result on Facebook if you use the file. The MVPS Hosts will block most of the ads there as well.

I doubt that the creator of MVPS Hosts considered that somebody might use the ads as you do. :emotion-2: :emotion-2:

2.7K Posts

November 27th, 2011 15:00

"I doubt that the creator of MVPS Hosts considered that somebody might use the ads as you do."

You are right about commercials being ads. I find the "sorry " message that appears in black and white to be distracting, more so than the commercials. Those commercials are just long enough for me to check email, to put a load of laundry in the washing machine, send a text, etc.  

I have the MVPS Host file on several laptops, but removed it from my main desktop. I will use both desktop and laptops to see how it goes with and without.    

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 27th, 2011 17:00

Annie,

when "unable to load a message from our sponsors", note that the HULU page offers their suggestion to "Confirm all ad-blocking software has been fully disabled".   That would include the HOSTS file (if you really want to see those commercials).

The choice about how to proceed is fully yours.   If you "enjoy" the commercials [or take "strategic advantage" of their timing :emotion-5: ], that certainly is your prerogative.   In a similar vein, I choose to use the Yahoo! toolbar, because it simplifies my connecting to various websites that I regularly use... it enhances my productivity.   I realize that many people are adamant in their opposition to various toolbars --- and that is their right.   But for me, the Yahoo toolbar serves a valid purpose, and I will be keeping it.   My choice.   Simple as that.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

November 27th, 2011 20:00

Annie:

There is a small free utility called HostsMan you can use to manage your hosts file, including among other things, to temporarily and easily disable/re-enable it with just a few clicks. It would allow you to watch Hulu, ads and all, and re-enable your hosts file intact thereafter.

It works with all Windows operating systems. I've used it for some years now with no problems whatsoever on all my XP and W7 systems, mostly for its ability to check for, and update my mvps hosts file via its internal updater. It does not run in real-time, and consumes no resources.

More info, and download options, are here:
http://www.abelhadigital.com/hostsman

2.7K Posts

November 28th, 2011 07:00

"note that the HULU page offers their suggestion to "Confirm all ad-blocking software has been fully disabled".

ky331. I am not seeing this-where exactly are you seeing this?  

2.7K Posts

Joe53, Thanks for your information. This sounds like it may be the answer for me if I cannot work out ky331's solution.  

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Annie,

Are you using any ad-blocking add-ons like Ad Block Plus? This blocks the ads for Hulu.

Rick

No Events found!