Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 2nd, 2010 17:00

Trend Micro Internet Security Will Not Uninstall

I have a new Windows 7 Professional 32-bit Latitude E6500 that's driving me crazy. It came with a trial version of Trend Micro Internet Security installed and it will not go away, at least not gracefully. Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Uninstall via Programs and Features - It would get about 2/3 of the way through and hang for hours until you force a reboot. Didn't matter if I stopped services first.
  2. Remove from Start Menu - Trend Micro - Uninstall Trend Micro... this would launch the same installer with the same result.
  3. Try Windows Installer Cleanup Utility - This would flash some info on the screen too fast to read. In the end Trend Micro services were still listed.
  4. Use TISTOOL.EXE from Trend Micro, the "Trend Micro Diagnostic Tool". This actually seems to get rid of the application pretty well. Unfortunately it kills my network interfaces (Ethernet and Wireless) like I've never seen before. I could restore ethernet functionality by deleting the ethernet card under device manager and letting it get re-installed. But this didn't work for wireless. The wireless card is listed in the device manager and under Network Connections (and enabled). But there is no longer an option to detect wireless networks. I can only resolve the issue by performing a system restore to an earlier time. This of course brings Trend Micro back from the grave too.

The thought of formatting the hard drive and starting over because of this bundled crapware is really unappealing. I've read posts from others on the Internet with the exact same issue, but none provided a solution. I've been unable to find manual uninstall instructions. If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them.

1 Message

February 21st, 2016 07:00

Tried this and it worked like a charm! Removed the trial version loaded with Dell Latitude. Super easy compared to other methods that made my head spin. Takes a bit of time so be patient.

Thanks a Million BRANDNODDS!

March 27th, 2018 11:00

I was finally successful after finding and running this 

Trend Micro Remnant File Remover Tool

https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/1104912.aspx?vwd=?cm_mmc=KB1105809-_-Public-_-Titanium-_-All

It took a while - and I had thought it had frozen up half-way through - but it DID finally complete the process.

No Events found!