Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2008 09:00

Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Sec 14 for Dell--Scan engine version

Hi all:

Can you folks post your current version of your scan engine for me?  My system auto updated to v. 8.550.1001 around Dec. 07 and all has been well with the program.  I check my pattern file version number w/ the Trend Micro web site to verify I have the current pattern file and I always do.

For some strange reason, my scan engine has not updated to what Trend says is the "current" version of 8.70.  I have a procedure to manually update the scan engine for this v.14Dell from Trend web site, but it's dated 12/19/06.  Mentions Vista/XP/XPsp2, but I'm not comfortable using info that old.

Anybody have the current version of the scan engine 8.700 running on your machine?  If so, how did you get it?  From the auto update, or did you download the engine file and manually do it? 

I've had great luck w/ this version of Trend Micro, uninstalled the firewall to cure some other issues.  I'm running Vista Home Premium, SP1 (sp1 really makes things zippier noticed a pretty substantial difference).

Any help is greatly appreciated

Many thanks,

Ted

Message Edited by Ted_C on 04-19-2008 05:49 AM

20 Posts

April 19th, 2008 10:00

Hi Ted

I just got my XPS 630 last week with Vista Home as well. I have PCcillin installed as you do. It looks like my engine version is the same as yours, 8.550.1001, Program ver. 14.70.1014, Pattern ver. 5.227.00. Mine updates daily and that's what I have. I too am curious if Trend is saying that there is a newer Engine Version.

Bill 

301 Posts

April 20th, 2008 20:00

Could you provide the link that references the 8.7 engine.  I could not find it on the Trend site.  I have the same info as billwnh, and as far as I know they are the most up-to-date versions.  There is a version 14.7 pc-cillian for Dell.  Was that what had the 8.7, and not the 8.550..........? 

23 Posts

April 21st, 2008 06:00

Trend Micro US home page here:

http://us.trendmicro.com/us/home/

Upper right corner has their Threat Resource Center w/ their current versions of the scan engine and pattern files.  Mine have always matched till now.  I did get one update to the scan engine around Jan08 to the version I currently have 8.550.1001, but nothing since.  They're showing a new version of the scan engine called 8.700 (current build is 1004). 

Click on the "Latest Scan Engine" link and you get this:

Trend Micro™ Internet Security [PC-cillin] Previous Versions

File Platform Program Version Engine Version Size Release Date

VSAPI-KD-8.700-1004.ZIP Windows 12.0 and above (U.S.Retail versions only) 8.700 819.4KB Apr 01, 2008

vsapi-VXD-8.320-1003.ZIP Windows 95/98/ME 12.0 and above (U.S. Retail versions only) 8.320 561.7KB Sep 20, 2006

This file  VSAPI-KD-8.700-1004.ZIP is the one which would load the scan engine manually, but I have two concerns:

1) the manual load file procedure on the Trend Micro site is dated 12/19/06

2) was hoping to find out why it didn't auto update or bump into someone who manually loaded it and didn't have any problems.

Maybe we Dell users don't get this as it says (U.S. Retail versions only).  However, my versions have always matched what they show as current exactly, hence, my curiosity as to what other Dell users may have.

Thanks for posting.

301 Posts

April 21st, 2008 15:00

Thanks for providing the link.  I understood what you were saying, I justed wanted to see it myself.  I am not sure what is going on, but I think you are right it is only for retail versions.  Mine was a trial version, and I purchased the  3 year subscription after my initial thirty days.  If we all have the same versions (I update mine three times a day) I think we are using the most up to date product.  I agree I would not rely on info from 12/06. 

301 Posts

April 21st, 2008 19:00

Here is the current version dated January 2008 for PC-Cillian for Dell 14.  http://www.trendmicro.com/download/tmis_dell.asp

I think when you click the about button and it shows the engine version is what you are talking about.  My understanding is that the engine version is the orginal build of the product and is updated from there, and the new retails products are coming out witht the 8.7 version.  Not sure, but I believe I am as up to date as I can get. 

301 Posts

April 30th, 2008 19:00

The new 8.7 version is available for download through the update tab on the pc-cillin window.  It took a few minutes, required a restart, and then I was at the version you first had questions about. 

23 Posts

April 30th, 2008 19:00

Just got it yesterday via auto update.  I guess good things come to those who wait.

May 20th, 2008 20:00

I updated the Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 14 for Dell today (PCC147)  It is the version you are speaking of.  However, once downloaded & installed, I could not scan anything!  Called Trend Micro Tech Support & was told I needed to turn User Account Control "off."  I did this & Trend Micro PC-Cillin now scans ok.  But now, I don't feel secure having UAC turned off.  Did you have this issue as well?

May 20th, 2008 22:00

Yes, I uninstalled the previous version first, rebooted  & then installed the upgrade.  I also did the immediate update, which was a large file also.  Then when I tried to do a scan, I got a pop-up that said:

Unable to start the scan.  The files do not match the scan settins, or the target location is empty.  Change the scan settings or specify another folder/drive to scan. 

Well, it wouldn't scan anything, even an individual file.  That's when I called Trend Micro & they told me to disable the UAC.  I don't feel good about this.  I may go back to the old version of Trend Micro that was installed originally on my computer when I got it from Dell.  I have the back-up CD.  I have had nothing but trouble with Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security.  I have spent hours on the phone with their Tech Support on other problems, which they have never been able to resolve.

I am sorry I was stupid enough to purchase a 3-year subscription to this software when I bought my Dell XPS 410 -- but it seemed like such a good deal!  Yeah, right!

23 Posts

No I didn't.

Did you uninstall the existing version first?  I uninstalled, rebooted, installed the new version, than immediately did a TrendMicro manual update (was quite a large download).  Tried a scan and all went well.  I have noticed that my manual virus scans are not appearing in the virus scan log, nut I'm not overly concerned about that.

301 Posts

I did not need to uninstall or anything.  I manually update instead of automatic, and it came through the day I posted this.  I have not had any problems.  I do not have UAC on for pc-cillian and this was the way it came.  For all of my other av/as products the UAC is on.  I think you should be fine. 

May 21st, 2008 01:00

I am now having more problems with my computer since upgrading the Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 14 software.  Not only can I not use UAC any longer (because Trend Micro won't scan), but all of my favorites have collapsed.  I have to manually open each webpage again to add them to favorites.  My Windows Contact File has lost it's original headings.  It now has the same headings as my Windows Music File.  And, when I go onto the internet, webpages won't load completely.  What a mess.  I'm going to have to uninstall this upgrade & dig out the back-up CD Dell gave me for the original version of PC-Cillin Internet Security 14.  I'll probably use System Restore & go back to the restore point just before I uninstalled my original version of the software. 
No Events found!