Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

October 30th, 2017 10:00

Two Problems on Different Computers---Common Cause?

On my older machine, which keeps chugging along with Vista....

About every 30 to 40 minutes, it gives a "hiccup" and a message appears saying: "Application Host Service has stopped working." At the same time the icon for Panda Protection, my AV, briefly shows a red X which goes out after about 5-7 seconds. I press "Close" and thing's proceed normally until the next occurrance....these periodic interruptions can go on all day.

On the other computer, which runs Windows 7, I always have to manually start the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender, and Defender seems quite reluctant to do so at times.  Once on, they stay on. I vaguely remember this began when I started to use Panda as my AV.

Haven't received any Windows Updates on the older computer since a year ago last August, and don't think it is even active, although I still scan with it. Needless to say I don't use it for any browsing where security is a must, but scans with my other security programs including MBAB and Hitman Pro show I haven't picked up any malware on it. And Panda never finds anything either.

Just wondered if Panda might be causing these glitches. Am leery of using Avasta on this computer which has running for about eight years now, or it it will even run on it. Any thoughts, as always, appreciated giving an idea what I should try next. .

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

November 1st, 2017 22:00

Dale:

I can't address your problems with Panda/Vista, as I've never used that OS.

However I was a user of Panda Free AV for many years on Win XP/7/10 until just a few months ago, and I can't recall seeing any of the problems you described. The only reason I'm not currently using Panda Free is I've been testing other free AVs. Panda Free AV, over many versions, never gave me any grief, and I would happily reinstall it. I am loath to suggest you change to another AV.

Normally I would suggest you post your concerns over in the Panda Free AV Forum. However I must admit I have been disappointed with that forum in recent years. Many posts and questions go unanswered there. That said, I never encountered a Panda Free AV problem that required I post an enquiry in that forum.

To turn on Windows Defender real-time protection in Win 7, see this:
www.sevenforums.com/.../6397-windows-defender-turn-off.html

I don't use Windows Defender (for Win 7) real-time protection myself. I think that most AVs have sufficient real-time anti-malware protection that WD (an anti-malware) is probably redundant except as a 2nd opinion on-demand scanner.

My advice on AVs hasn't changed much in years. I still believe that free AVs from reputable vendors (including, but not limited to: Avast, Panda, Microsoft, Sophos and Kaspersky) provide equivalent protection to the paid versions for most home users.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2017 05:00

Thanks Joe for your take on this. I suspect that Panda turns them off by default upon start up, but doesn't object to their presence afterwards. I think WD is part fo Win 7 and is pro-activewith my system, so will just continue to stick to the current routine.

I might run this by users on the software forum to see if the symptoms are recognized as known glitches. Put it up here first since it seems to concern security software.

No Events found!