Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

February 6th, 2007 20:00

Unknown PUP - Please help...

For a while now my antivirus program (the pay monthly version of AVG) has been telling me that I have 2 "Not-A-Virus.Downloader.Win32.DigStream" on my computer. One is located in the program files under "C:\Program Files\DIGStream\digstream.exe" and the other is located in "C:\System Volume Information\_restore{a lot of numbers and letters}.exe". I have no idea what these are or where they came from, and with widows explorer, the contents of the DIGStream folder are: locator.dll (ActiveX Control for DIGStream Cache Manager and the corporation is Walt Disney Internet Group. This is odd as I have no Disney programs.), an uninstall button named 'UNWISE' and a .txt file intitled: INSTALL. It reads:***  Installation Started 08/16/2005 20:54  ***
Title: DIGStream Installation
Source: C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\GLB18.tmp
Made Dir: C:\Program Files\DIGStream
File Copy: C:\Program Files\DIGStream\UNWISE.EXE
File Copy: C:\Program Files\DIGStream\digstream.exe
File Copy: C:\Program Files\DIGStream\locator.dll
Self-Register: C:\PROGRA~1\DIGSTR~1\DIGSTR~1.EXE
Self-Register: C:\Program Files\DIGStream\locator.dll
RegDB Key: Software\Disney\DIGStream
RegDB Val: C:\Program Files\DIGStream\digstream.exe
RegDB Name: ExePath
RegDB Root: 2
RegDB Val: C:\Program Files\DIGStream
RegDB Name: InstallPath
RegDB Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
RegDB Val: C:\Program Files\DIGStream\digstream.exe
RegDB Name: DIGStream
RegDB Val: http://digstream.go.com/digstream/autoupdate.xml
RegDB Name: AutoUpdateUrl
Delete in-use files: On
RegDB Tree: Software\Disney\DIGStream
RegDB Root: 1
RegDB Tree: Software\Disney\DIGStream
Execute Program: C:\PROGRA~1\DIGSTR~1\digstream.exe /shutdown

Should I be worried, or else? I have no idea what this is, and any help would be appreciated. Also, AVG VirusScan recognises it as a PUP, so should I remove it?

Thanks in advance,

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

February 6th, 2007 22:00

The process named digstream.exe runs in the background and downloads video in advance from ESPN  (online sport channel), Movies.com or ABC TV, ready for you to watch.

Do you use any of these???

4 Posts

February 7th, 2007 14:00

I don't use any of those, but i may have found the root of the prob. Under Add/Remove Programs, my computer does list ESPNMotion as a program, but I have not ever downloaded/used anything by ESPN.

I am fairly sure that this has been found since I ordered AVG, and if i remember correctly (i bought my computer in november) it may have been on the Add/Remove list when I first checked. Do you know if this is something Dell put on every computer?

And most importantly: is it safe to wipe it, and how should I? Through Add/Remove Programs, AVG or The 'Unwise' button that looks like Uninstall? Also, AVG's Virus Vault thing lists it as 'Infected'. Is this anything to be worried about?

Message Edited by deadstar on 02-07-2007 02:50 PM

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

I don't have any more "particulars" on this issue.

4 Posts

Also, thinking about it, where does uit download these videos to? Because I haven't had any download notification pop-ups relating to that process.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

February 7th, 2007 18:00

I've looked into the matter a bit more, and have located the following:

"there [is] advertising at the beginning and/or end of some ESPN Motion video:
ESPN Motion is a very expensive feature to run and we are offering it to our users for free. In order to recoup some of these costs, we present users with a minimal amount of advertising in the form of sponsorships and video ads."

In other words, the company is admitting to be "adware".  On that basis, it is a Potentially Unwanted Program ["PUP"].   But on the other hand, if you really desire to watch their videos, you (may) have no choice but to put up with their "minimal" advertising.

Which means this is really a user's choice issue.

"If you'd like to completely uninstall ESPN Motion, go to your Start menu and select 'Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs'. From there you can remove ESPN Motion just as you would any other Windows application."

Such removal should be safe.  Be advised though, that if you later try to access their videos, you'll probably have to redownload/reinstall the program.

P.S.  If you decide to remove the program, it should remove the "C:\Program Files\DIGStream\digstream.exe" copy.  

However, the "copy" located in "C:\System Volume Information\_restore{a lot of numbers and letters}.exe" is part a System Restore Archive, which will probably stay around even after you uninstall the program.

Message Edited by ky331 on 02-07-2007 03:56 PM
No Events found!