Start a Conversation

Unsolved

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 11th, 2018 06:00

Updates 12/11/18 - Microsoft+Adobe+Firefox Tuesday

Today is Microsoft Tuesday --- the  SECOND Tuesday of the month --- on which Microsoft is expected to release its monthly cycle of Windows security updates.   Based on previous history, they should become available at 1 P.M. [USA - Eastern STANDARD Time]
------------------

Please use Windows/Automatic Updates to determine which updates are applicable to your particular system.

=====================

Adobe has also announced updates for  Reader/Acrobat and AIR; while Mozilla is expected to release FF 64.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Acrobat DC and Reader DC, for Windows.  

Version 2019.010.20064

These updates address critical vulnerabilities that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. 

Available via the program's internal updater:   Help / Check for Updates ;  alternatively:

For Reader DC (Document Cloud), or other Reader versions for Windows, you can locate your appropriate update here:  https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=10&platform=Windows

For Acrobat DC for Windows, you can locate your appropriate update here:  http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform=Windows

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

Adobe AIR 32.0.0.89 (for those of you who have/use AIR)

https://get.adobe.com/air/

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 11th, 2018 07:00

Firefox Version 64.0 (December 11, 2018)

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/64.0/releasenotes/

New

• Better recommendations: You may see suggestions in regular browsing mode for new and relevant Firefox features, services, and extensions based on how you use the web (for US users only)

• Enhanced tab management: You can now select multiple tabs from the tab bar and close, move, bookmark, or pin them quickly and easily

• Easier performance management: The new Task Manager page found at about: performance lets you see how much energy each open tab consumes and provides access to close tabs to conserve power

• Improved performance for Mac and Linux users, by enabling link time optimization (Clang LTO). (Clang LTO was enabled for Windows users in Firefox 63.)

• More seamless sharing on Windows: Windows users can now share web pages using the native sharing experience. You can access Share in the Page Actions menu

• Added option to remove add-ons using the context menu on their toolbar buttons

• New for enterprise users: Updated the policy engine on macOS to allow using configuration profiles to customize Firefox for enterprise deployments

Changed

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 11th, 2018 15:00

WARNING:  The link for this separate download of the MSRT is now pre-checking a box to also download "MSN default homepage & Bing default search engine".    Be sure to uncheck this, unless you really want it!

Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT, MRT) for December, version 5.67
Reminder:   Users who are paranoid about the remote possibility of a FP can opt to run this tool from a Command Prompt, appending a   /N   parameter [for "detect only" mode].

======================================

This month's MSRT adds detection/removal of:

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 11th, 2018 17:00

Just to note that my free Adobe Acrobat Reader DC automatically updated itself to this latest version, and as far as I can tell there are no settings in the GUI where I can toggle this to a manual download only.

Historically Adobe Reader was a real security risk and target for malware. I don't know where it stands currently, but I dislike on principle any software that takes liberties and installs new software without my explicit permission. Unfortunately I need Adobe Reader for work, so I can't ditch it. But I still keep Sumatra as my default PDF reader.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 11th, 2018 17:00

@joe53 wrote:

Just to note that my free Adobe Acrobat Reader DC automatically updated itself to this latest version, and as far as I can tell there are no settings in the GUI where I can toggle this to a manual download only.

Historically Adobe Reader was a real security risk and target for malware. I don't know where it stands currently, but I dislike on principle any software that takes liberties and installs new software without my explicit permission. Unfortunately I need Adobe Reader for work, so I can't ditch it. But I still keep Sumatra as my default PDF reader.

Depending on the firewall you're using, maybe you can set the permission level for Reader to "ask". That way your firewall will ask if you want to allow Reader to access the internet whenever it tries... So at least you'll know when Reader is trying to phone home.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 11th, 2018 20:00

Thanks Ron.

After a bit of rummaging around I found AdobeARMservice ("Adobe Acrobat Updater keeps your Adobe software up to date") in services.msc was running and on automatic startup status. A right click on the entry>properties>Stop, then >Startup type: changing automatic to manual seems to stop Adobe from taking automatic liberties. The internal manual check for updates in Adobe still works.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 12th, 2018 04:00

In addition to changing the Adobe ARM Service to manual (via WinPatrol or Windows Services), there's also a Scheduled Task (Adobe Acrobat Update Task) which I've disabled in Task Scheduler, and a START-UP Adobe ARM.exe which I disable via CCleaner's Start-Up (which seems more effective than WinPatrol for this particular program).

No Events found!