Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 12th, 2016 04:00

Updates 7/12/16 - "Microsoft+Adobe Tuesday"

This thread is currently "under construction", and will be edited for the remainder of today.   Please excuse any blank spaces or crossed-out "placeholders" for items expected to be announced.

Today is Microsoft Tuesday --- the SECOND Tuesday of the month --- on which Microsoft is expected to release its monthly cycle of Windows critical/security updates.   Based on previous history, they should become available at 1 P.M. [USA - Eastern Daylight Saving Time]

Please use Windows/Automatic Updates to determine which updates are applicable to your particular system.

Adobe is also expected to join-in, with updates for Reader/Acrobat and Flash.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 12th, 2016 04:00

Adobe Flash has been updated to  22.0.0.209.

In today's scheduled release, we've updated Flash Player with important bug fixes and security updates.
These updates address critical vulnerabilities that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.

Direct downloads (no bundled junk) for Windows 7 and earlier :emotion-30::
=======================================

=======================================

:emotion-30: Flash (ActiveX) for IE/Edge in Win8.1/10 was updated to 22.0.0. 209 , via Microsoft Update Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-093 - Security Update for Adobe Flash Player (3174060) https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS16-093  

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 12th, 2016 05:00

Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Acrobat and Reader, for Windows.  

These updates address critical vulnerabilities that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. 

Adobe Reader XI, sequential update (starting from any Windows 11.x version) to 11.0.17

https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=6082

=========================

Remark:   For people using Reader DC (Document Cloud), or other Reader versions for Windows, you can locate your appropriate update here:  https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=10&platform=Windows

For people using Acrobat  for Windows, you can locate your appropriate update here:  http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform=Windows

============

Documentation has been released as https://helpx.adobe.com/security/products/acrobat/apsb16-26.html

and https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotes/11/11.0.17.html

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 12th, 2016 06:00

The Adobe Reader/Acrobat updates insist on reactivating several associated StartUp programs (registry entries) that you might have previously disabled.

I've found the most effective way to stop them is to use CCleaner, select Tools / Startup , and then click-on and DISABLE each of the Adobe entries (if present):

Acrotray (Adobe Assistant)

ARM

SpeedLauncher

[ Not sure why, but CCleaner is doing a better job on these Adobe "pests" than WinPatrol.... ]

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 12th, 2016 06:00

Reminder:   Adobe Acrobat X [10] and Adobe Reader X [10] are no longer supported; end-of-life was 11/15/15.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 12th, 2016 10:00

From https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms16-jul :

The following 6  updates are rated CRITICAL:

MS16-084 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (3169991)

MS16-085 Cumulative Security Update for Microsoft Edge (3169999) 

MS16-086 Cumulative Security Update for JScript and VBScript (3169996)

MS16-087 Security Update for Windows Print Spooler Components (3170005)

MS16-088 Security Update for Microsoft Office (3170008)

MS16-093 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player (3174060)

=================================

The following 5 updates are rated IMPORTANT:

MS16-089 Security Update for Windows Secure Kernel Mode (3170050)

MS16-090  Security Update for Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers (3171481)

MS16-091 Security Update for .NET Framework (3170048)

MS16-092 Security Update for Windows Kernel (3171910)

MS16-094 Security Update for Secure Boot (3177404)

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 12th, 2016 11:00

WARNING:  The link for this separate download of the MSRT is now pre-checking a box to also download "MSN default homepage & Bing default search engine".    Be sure to uncheck this, unless you really want it!

Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT, MRT) for July, version 5.38

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/malicious-software-removal-tool-details.aspx 

Reminder:   Users who are paranoid about the remote possibility of a FP can opt to run this tool from a Command Prompt, appending a   /N   parameter [for "detect only" mode].

Make sure you get v5.38 --- the link (at least initially) may be offering older versions...

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 12th, 2016 12:00

This month's MSRT adds detection/removal of:

Win32/Cerber - "ransomware that can stop you from using your PC or accessing your data. It might ask you to pay money to a malicious hacker. It can play a text-to-speech or synthesized recording, show a web page, or a plain text document.

This threat might have been installed on your PC from spam emails."

==========================

For additional information, see https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mmpc/2016/07/12/msrt-july-2016-cerber-ransomware/

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 12th, 2016 13:00

On this Win7x64 SP1 system --- after a search exceeding 2 hours!!! ---  

I was offered 10 updates (6 Windows 7; + 4 Office 2010) totaling 134.7 MB.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

July 13th, 2016 15:00

On this Win7x64 SP1 system --- after a search exceeding 2 hours!!! ---  

Oh boy, I thought- here we go again: another 1-2 hour wait for WU to scan my Win 7x64, for about the 4th month in a row. So after a bit of researching, I found the MS Windows Update FAQ site (last revised June 2016):
support.microsoft.com/.../windows-update-faq

I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter from MS  from the link there:
go.microsoft.com/

It took only a minute or so, and reported that Issues found/fixed included:
Service registration is missing or corrupt-> Reset service registration
Problems installing recent updates-> Repair Windows Update

It also reported that about 12 potential issues were not detected.

I then went to the WU site, and (mirabile dictu!) the "Check for updates" scan completed in only one or two minutes. The MS Word, Excel, and Outlook patches took only 5 minutes to download/install. (I'm still waiting another week to download/install the IE11, .Net and Windows 7 security patches, as per my usual practice).

I can't be sure it was the Update Troubleshooter that prevented another long scan, but thought I'd report my experience.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

July 14th, 2016 07:00

Dale from Denver reporting in....

As of 7AM local time, it shows that my MS updates are....up to date. The usually are offered by Wednesday. This is on the older machine with Vista. I'll fire up the computer with Windows 7 later on this morning and see what mischief might be going on there. The defintion updates have been doing just fine for last couple of weeks.on both.

The saga continues....who knows what evil LURKS in the hearts of MS servers. Not even the Shadow knows for sure

EDIT:

To my surprise found 6 updates with about 72MB on the Window 7 computer. The definitions update downloaded and installed quickly. Will wait until the weekend to install the rest, in case there are issues that need to be resolved.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 15th, 2016 12:00

For what it's worth, I installed all this week's Microsoft updates on a Win 7 Pro+SP1, 32-bit desktop with no issues on Wed. WU only searched for ~15 min before providing the list of updates...

And the Adobe Reader update set up another scheduled task to check for updates daily. Seems like every time I disable that task, the next update turns it back on. :emotion-12:

Open Windows Task Scheduler and click the "Task Schedule Library" link to see what's scheduled and disable any you don't want to run automatically.

Appears the last update for my Garman GPS also sneaked in another scheduled task when I wasn't looking, and there were 2 tasks scheduled that I don't recognize because they're only identified by a CLSID,  and nothing comes up on a Google search. I disabled all of them.

So good idea to check that task library link from time to time to see what's really going on behind the scenes...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 15th, 2016 12:00

Another Win 7 Flash update: 22.0.0.210 for Internet Explorer - ActiveX

All others are still at 209

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

July 16th, 2016 06:00

OK....the updates for my Win7x64SP1 system download OK last week and I installed them yesterday with no problems.

On the Vista computer, the monthly batch has not even been offered, so went searching. It looked for several hours yesterday with no luck...attempting to do so again today

EDIT:

Windows updates finally offered about bedtime last night. Now in the process of "downloading updates". Will see how many hours or days it takes to complete the installation. :emotion-42::emotion-18:

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 18th, 2016 16:00

"I was presented with a black screen with that cryptic white printing with stuff like 31/31 and words like Registry and Components." 

I've seen that occasionally, apparently it's semi-normal.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

July 18th, 2016 16:00

Latest update about updates.....:emotion-6:

After updates were finally "offered" late on Saturday, attempted to download and install them yesterday. Tried more than once, several hours each time. Getting ready to shut down the computer for the evening, I went to the little Windows Shutdown box. The options included a "Install Updates and Shut Down" which for some unknown reason I selected.

It shut down OK, but I wanted to see what was installed. The start up begain OK, but then I was presented with a black screen with that cryptic white printing with stuff like 31/31 and words like Registry and Components. Can't remember all of what I did to get it back, but it involved a System Repair and then a System Restore. Finally got a clean start up and normal shut down before going to bed.

Have quit searching for updates for the time being, and notice the "Install Updates and Shut Down" option is there again, along with the regular Shut Down one. In looking at the update history,  I found one update, the one for definitions of WD, had installed OK, another one was cancelled, and the rest failed. I find this strange because I have it set up to inform me if and when Windows Updates are available, but not to download and install them. The latest definitions update would not download and install when attempted seperately. Will try again tomorrow, or perhaps this evening.

No Events found!