3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

August 17th, 2017 11:00

Updates 8/17/17 - Firefox

Firefox 55.0.2

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/55.0.2/releasenotes/

Fixed

• Fix a potential issue when the username had some specific characters in the path (Bug 1388584)

• Fix an issue with new installation notification for sideload add-ons (Bug 1372448)

• Fix performance regressions with WebExtension (Bugs 1386937 & 1389381)

• Fix a regression with the popup menu (Bug 1388682)

Available via the program's internal updater:   Help / About Firefox

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

August 17th, 2017 15:00

Got a question about using Adblock Plus with Firefox. It works OK on my antiquaited Vista machine with IE9.  Not sure if I have to download it again, or if I have to make some setting changes in Firefox. The ads generally don't bother me while using Firefox, but when I go to YouTube for example, it's gotten extreme, with some ads lasting up to several minutes at the beginning before the video starts.As usual, thanks for the advice.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

August 17th, 2017 16:00

Not sure if I have to download [AdBlock Plus] again...

As long as it's showing up in your add-ons (Tools / Add-ons / Extensions), you shouldn't have to download it again ("from scratch")... however, you should occasionally click on the "gear" icon to check (your extensions) for updates.   Note:   If you've set Firefox add-ons to update automatically, you don't have to manually check.

I gave-up on AdBlock Plus (for FF & PaleMoon) ages ago, having replaced it by uBlock Origin https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

Note:   I sometimes still use AdBlock Plus in IE, where uBlock Origin is not available.

However, I can't vouch for either of these products when it comes to "preview ads" that are tacked-on to YouTube videos.   They might make a difference... but I really can't say anything definitive.   It's possible that they won't stop these ads... or that you'll get a message from YouTube saying that it won't let you proceed until the ad-blocker is disabled.   You'll just have to experiment for yourself.

========================================

Addendum:

Let me also remind you that, effective with FF 57 (to be released in November), "legacy" add-ons will no longer work in FF.   ALL of my add-ons (aside from two from avast) are currently classified as "legacy".   So, unless these add-ons are re-written to conform to FF's new requirements, it may not make any difference what we try to do with ad-blockers, come November.

No Events found!