Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2009 03:00

Updates - March 11, 2009

Please refer to Calendar of Updates.

The Calendar of Updates is devoted to bringing you the latest information about new and upcoming updates for almost every security software.

If anyone would like to discuss a particular update, please reply in this topic.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

March 11th, 2009 06:00

(Be sure to consider my comments at the end of this post!)

SpyBot 2009-03-11
Adware
+ eZula HotText
Keylogger
+ PerfectKeylogger
Malware
+ AdDestination + CMVideo + Fraud.Antivirus2010 + Fraud.MSAntispyware2009 + Fraud.SpywareGuard2008 + Fraud.SystemGuard2009 + MalwareRemovalBot + TotalVirusProtection + Vrl32software + Win32.Autoit.D + WinSpywareProtect + XPPoliceAntivirus
Trojan
+ Virtumonde.sci + Virtumonde.sdn + Win32.Bredolab.B + Win32.Brontok.q + Win32.Lost.jau + Win32.Mudrop.kt + Win32.TDSS.bae + Win32.TDSS.rtk + Win32.VB.cb
Total: 1453845 fingerprints in 460163 rules for 4584 products.

for those who use SpyBot's IMMUNIZATION feature ---  which, in my opinion, is the main reason for average* users (XP and earlier) to keep spybot around nowadays --- be sure to RE-immunize after updating.

(*):  I am also a "fan" of SpyBot's TeaTimer.   However, TeaTimer requires that the user respond to its occasional prompts to allow or deny various system changes.   Unless the user feels comfortable/confident doing so, it is preferable that a person NOT use TeaTimer, rather than risk using it haphazardly.

I do *NOT* advocate SpyBot for its scanner --- I believe MBAM and SAS are far superior.

----------------------------------

EDIT:   One of the items included among today's update is a new (and hopefully improved/"friendlier") TeaTimer module 1.6.6.32 [which momentarily opens a DOS/command prompt to install itself], which offers two new features:

1) An issue for most "naive" users was that TeaTimer could be too "chatty" and "demanding", asking for the user to approve/deny pending system changes (for which the average user had no idea how to respond appropriately).   The new TeaTimer module, by default, will only interact with the user when a KNOWN  bad change is being attempted.   "Advanced" users, who appreciated the "old" TeaTimer's "chattiness", can still opt-in to it, by RIGHT-clicking on the TeaTimer icon in your system tray, and enabling  PARANOID mode :emotion-3:

2) The new TeaTimer also offers a new option to reset all user decisions.

No Events found!