Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2008 01:00

Virus Problems

Hello, have a friends Dell Precision Workstation 670 with windows XP. Yesterday ad windows starting popping up one right after another. It disabled system restore and also windows update. Then got bad enough the computer would not longer boot and even in the safe mode. Both were stop errors. Tried everything and finally used the XP CD to boot and repair the installation. That allowed me to boot. However, I still cannot enable windows automatic updates and the computer still will not boot to the safe mode. Tried several options on this form to get the auto updates enabled but to no avail. Windows seems fine now except for these last 2 things. As for the pop-ups, do not have any network cables attached so no idea if they will return once I connect that. But I need access to install AVG and also need to disable system restore and run the scan in the safe mode. But cannot get to the safe mode. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

October 25th, 2008 02:00

Will the computer boot into normal mode?
Why do you need to disable System Restore to run a scan? That would leave you without Restore Points and nothing to return to if there is a problem.

If the computer is not connected to the internet, you will need to download this using a good computer and save it to a USB stick or CD. Then transfer it to the infected computer.

Try running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
Please download to your desktop Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here or Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checkedPhotobucket
    Click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • If you are still having problems and/or would like a follow-up check to be sure the infection as well as vulnerabilities are gone, copy and paste the entire report into a New Message on the HijackThis Board. Also include a fresh HijackThis log. Instructions for downloading HijackThis are at the top of that forum.
    1. Just click the New Message button in the HijackThis forum here: http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board?board.id=si_hijack
    to start your own thread requesting assistance for a follow-up check to be sure the malware is gone.
    2. In the Message Body window that opens, simply Right-Click and select Paste.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
Message Edited by Bugbatter on 10-24-2008 11:30 PM

2.2K Posts

October 25th, 2008 02:00

I have the computer booting to the normal mode after the repair on XP. Still no safe mode and not automatic windows updates. Because if you leave system restore on and remove a virus if will be right back on next boot. Least that is how Microsoft has always explained we need to do. I will attach the computer to the net and D/l the program you suggested tomorrow and let you know what happens. Thanks.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

October 25th, 2008 14:00

"Because if you leave system restore on and remove a virus if will be right back on next boot"

That is not exactly true. A virus cannot "escape" from System Restore unless you restore your computer to an earlier time.
"Tip: Some people recommend that System Restore be turned off and all Restore Points deleted before attempting spyware removal. DO NOT DO THIS. If something goes wrong (anything is possible) you will have no way to reverse your actions. You'll want to delete your old Restore Points, but the time to do that is later, not now."
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/bugbusting.mspx

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

October 26th, 2008 19:00

You are most welcome. I'm glad we could help. :)

2.2K Posts

October 26th, 2008 19:00

Ok, followed your instructions to a "T". D/L the Malwarebytes as suggested and it found 93 infections of one kind or another. I also ran AVG  which is now the virus software they will use. Looks like your help and advice totally resolved the problems with this computer. I really thank you for the help, and the great instructions! Thanks again.
No Events found!