Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

May 5th, 2016 14:00

Was It Just Me?

The last couple of days this page, and some others on the support boards were getting a lot spam posts. The signs and symbols looked suspiciously Korean, I wisely declined to click on reply.This went on for several pages. It alll looks OK now.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

May 5th, 2016 16:00

Dale,

There quite obviously was a major spam attack here.   I know I reported it... presumably others did too.   DeLL is working on it... the question is whether they can efficiently and effectively remove all the spam content.   It seems like ALL the content of virus/spyware has been "hidden" --- at least for the time being.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 5th, 2016 16:00

The real threads aren't actually hidden. There are 106 pages of spam in this forum alone. This is page 1, so if you go to page 108, you'll find all the previous threads. There are over 1200 total pages in the V/S forum, dating back to 2003 and all visible once you get past the pages of spam.

Pages 2-107 are blank except for that "filter" notice because the spam posts have been hidden. Eventually they should disappear completely and things should return to "normal".

The question will be whether Dell can keep those spammer bots from coming back... :emotion-7:

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

May 11th, 2016 08:00

Well, I guess they installed a bot capture thingy  (captcha).

Maybe Nomad was trying to sterilize the Dell Forums.

"I am Nomad. I am performing my function. Deep, emptiness. It approaches, collision, damage, blackness. I am the other. I am Tan Ru. Tan Ru. Nomad. Tan Ru. Error. Flaw. Imperfection. Must sterilize. Rebirth. We are complete. Much power. Gan Ta Nu Ika. Tan Ru. The creator instructs, search out, identify, sterilize imperfections. We are Nomad. We are Nomad. We are complete. We are instructed. Our purpose is clear. Sterilize imperfections. Sterilize imperfections. Nomad! Sterilize! Sterilize! Nomad! Sterilize!"

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

May 11th, 2016 16:00

Maybe Nomad was trying to sterilize the Dell Forums.

Nice 50 year old reference!

Personally, I think the trouble was tribbles ...

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

May 12th, 2016 18:00

I had literally hundreds of spam messages coming into my Inbox. They may have been "hidden" on the forum, but I still received an email notification of every one of them through yesterday. I noticed that the OEM forums using Lithium software did not have a problem, but Dell and MSN forums did. How does CAPTCHA prevent a human spammer from posting? They can click those pictures as well as the rest of us can.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 13th, 2016 13:00

They can click those pictures as well as the rest of us can.

But the speed and quantities at which they're being posted around here suggests bots may be doing it rather than idiot (sub-)humans.

New users are supposed to go on moderation for their first couple of posts, so that should catch the first spam post from that user and the account blocked but it hasn't worked very well...

And we're all getting blasted with email alerts for the spam.

No Events found!