Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2004 14:00

Will downloading Limewire (free version) mess up my computer? I have spybot S&D, Adaware, Spyguard and Iespyad installed, does that matter? n/t

n/t

204 Posts

Thank you AGAIN Yellowhammer now may I also ask, are there any file sharing programs out there that are safe to download and use?

725 Posts

Stay away from Limewire.  It will bring spyware. 

204 Posts

February 7th, 2004 15:00

The reason I ask is because that is one of the main reasons I use my computer, to file share and get music. But of course, I will not jeopardize this new computer simply to get and listen to music (that is not my main use) but I am a bit bummed that I will not be able to do this and I never realized doing so could cause so much problems. I wonder, then, why so many people insist to download these things that supposedly mess up your computer and also will these sites eventually be BANNED??!!! It certainly seems like they should be since they cause so many problems and are so risky. Also, are people really being prosecuted for file sharing? If that is the case, I definitely would not take the chance anyway but mainly I won't download these because I sure as heck do not want to wreck a $1444.00 system!

725 Posts

February 7th, 2004 16:00

A list of Clean filesharing programs is here.

204 Posts

February 7th, 2004 16:00

Thank you Yellow but for some reason when I click on the link it says that the page cannot be displayed.

204 Posts

February 7th, 2004 17:00

whoops, thanks much Yellow. It worked the third time :) Thank you for the link!

725 Posts

Try again in a little while.  For some reason it appears spywareinfor is down.  They have been down for the last 30 minutes or so.

725 Posts

Run the spyware detection software and see.  Winmx is not supposed to have any spyware with it.

204 Posts

shortly after downloading winmx 3.31 (one of the safe file sharing that was listed on the link) I received a warning popup that said I have spyware on my computer.  Could it be because of winmx and if so what would be my next step? Uninstall it and forget about it? Run my spyware detector programs? Thank you so much. Sorry all these questions!

204 Posts

February 7th, 2004 18:00

Also can you please tell me if it is bad to download movies to watch? not to burn just to watch om dell media experience? I searched for the movie freaky friday and got lots of results but how do I interpret the codes next to the movies and what versions are full and not just clips and if they are in English? Sorry for all the questions but I have never downloaded movies before..only music. Also does anyone know about how long it takes to download a movie versus song file? I use dial up so I know it will take longer than cable connection. But just curious as to on average how long a full lenght two hour movie will take. Thanks.

363 Posts

February 8th, 2004 14:00

Using dial-up to download anything takes ages.    Songs are OK but could take 1/2 hour or more each and movies would take about the same time if not more as to watch the movie.   Go to your local vidio rental place and rent the movie. 
No Events found!