Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

January 11th, 2017 04:00

Win10 Home users become "beta testers" for Professional version

Windows 10 Build 15002 offers major improvements, including the ability to delay the installation of updates for up to 35 days.   But this delay feature will only be offered to the Professional, Education, and Enterprise versions.

In effect, Microsoft is deliberately treating everyday home users as guinea pigs --- to report bad drivers and broken bug-fixes when their PCs crash or programs malfunction --- so that “By the time Current branch for Business machines are updated, the changes will have been validated by millions of Insiders, consumers and customers’ internal test processes for several months, allowing updates to be deployed with this increased assurance of validation.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/01/10/windows-10-upgrade-update-control/

5.8K Posts

January 11th, 2017 10:00

This is not a new change - Win 10 Pro and the other editions cited have always allowed users to defer build upgrades (but not security updates), but not Home edition users.
support.microsoft.com/.../defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

For this and other reasons, I upgraded my Win 10 Home to Pro some time ago. If I had ordered Pro rather than Home at time of purchase from Dell, it would only cost me an extra $50. After the fact, upgrading from Home to Pro cost me about $100. Either way, I think the extra cost of Pro is well worth it.

What seems to be new is that previously the duration of deferral was not specified. This new build would seem to set a 35 day limit. I have yet to receive this new build, and am more than happy to wait and let the "beta testers" discover its bugs.

I note that the option to defer upgrades is not enabled by default. You will have to enable "Defer feature updates" in Settings>Update and security>Advanced options.

No Events found!