Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

March 22nd, 2005 02:00

internet explore can not display page

i downloaded a game that came bundled with newdotnet toolbar.....before i knew what it was or what it did if a dll was deleted......i deleted it out of programs, and then ran registry mechanic to get it off my machine, then i lost my internet explore homepage and the  page can not be displayed DNS eror, can not find server. I have already been told to download the winsockfix and some other fix  ...ispfix i think, not sure. but neither of those worked for me. when i click on internet explore, it comes up "can not display page or dns error can not find server" when i type google in address bar nothing happens.  this toolbar was called "revelant knowledge". can anyone help?

March 22nd, 2005 03:00

I had a similar problem, but I downloaded Microsoft Spyware. When I did the 1st scan it found some things and I had to restart the computer. After I did that I could not connect. I had the same message when I tried internet explorer. I called Roadrunner, who told me it wasn't a connection problem, they told me to call Microsoft, who told me to call Dell and while on hold I restored the system to yesterday and now everything is fine. Hope it helps!

4.4K Posts

March 22nd, 2005 05:00

Ovr53,

According to many posts found by searching Google for "relevant knowledge" toolbar, and then for rk.exe, Relevant Knowledge is spyware/malware. You may be able to uninstall it by going into Add/Remove Programs and removing it.

If that doesn't work, download HijackThis, a malware analysis and removal tool, and submit the log it produces for analysis as described below.

Here's an illustrated guide to installing and running HijackThis that you may find helpful.

If the infected machine cannot connect to anything on the Internet for the download, download HijackThis on another machine, copy the downloaded file onto a floppy, and install it on the infected machine from the floppy.

With the Windows Explorer, go to C:\, right click and create a folder named HJT. Unzip the downloaded file hijackthis.zip into the newly created directory, C:\HJT.

After installing HijackThis.exe in the directory C:\HJT, run Hijackthis from that directory. Click on the 'scan' button and then 'save log' button.

You'll likely need to copy the log file back to the floppy, and take the floppy back to a working system in order to post the file.

Copy and paste the contents of the text file you saved in a new message in the HijackThis board for review by the trained volunteers. Be sure to post the log in a new message, and describe the problem you're experiencing. DON'T ATTEMPT TO FIX ANYTHING REPORTED BY HIJACKTHIS without expert advice!

Jim

47 Posts

March 22nd, 2005 13:00

unfortunately, it took my system restore with it, it was working before, but now it wont restore,this just figures!
No Events found!