Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2021 21:00

Can I use an HDMI to VCI cable on my Dell 7500?

I have an older monitor that I want to hook up to my Dell 7500 laptop.  The monitor was a Dell monitor that I got with a Dell Desktop PC. The monitor has a VCI port that it was using and has the cable still plugged in. Can I buy a seperate HDMI to VCI cable so that I can use the monitor with my laptop? Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 7th, 2021 22:00

@Nat4me  That is not a video cable. One end of that cable is a USB-A “regular USB” connector, which is not used for video output. And the other end is an OBD II connector, as noted on the label in your photo. OBD II is a connector that is found on cars for performing diagnostics. That cable is used to connect a PC to a car in order to run diagnostics applications. I have no idea why your monitor would have come with that cable, but it is definitely not for video purposes. But if you post a photo of the actual video input connectors available on your monitor, people here would be able to recommend an appropriate cable to connect your monitor to your laptop.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

November 7th, 2021 08:00

VCI?  Do you mean VGA?

Anyway you need something like this : https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Plated-Compatible-Projector-Chromebook-Raspberry/dp/B07CTK4TH4

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 7th, 2021 11:00

@Nat4me  Assuming you meant VGA, is that really your only option? If you have ANY other input type, it will look better than ancient analog VGA. But if not, then an HDMI to VGA cable is indeed a good solution. Just make sure you get one meant to connect an HDMI source to a VGA display, not the other way around. HDMI to VGA cables are directional, there are cables meant to go in each direction, so you have to pick the right one.

6 Posts

November 7th, 2021 21:00

Hello,

It is a VCI cable. It came with a Dell Monitor I got about 10 years ago. It's a big monitor and I am trying to hook it up to my laptop so I wont have such a small screen. I am attaching a picture. In the picture it says "Mini VCI" but mine only says VCI. I don't know if mine is a ""Mini" or not. I got that picture of Amazon.

Capture.JPG

No Events found!