Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SS

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

October 6th, 2019 08:00

Dell vostro 5490 making static noise when plugged in

I have my laptop now for 4 days and just noticed that when my laptop is charging/plugged in, it makes a weird scrambling, static noise. If i remove the plug, the noise stops. The noise gets louder when i move my mouse or use the touchpad.

The noise stops when i remove the plug.

I tried:

1. update my bios
  2. update sound drivers
  3. found the High performance mode by editting the 'CsEnabled' value from '1' to '0'.
  4. update every update that was available on the dell/support website for my laptop

If someone has the same problem or a solution, please let me know! I will contact support monday and find out what they can do for me.

• 

25.7K Posts

February 5th, 2020 21:00

Good Day Michael,

I am following up with you for the noise issue reported on your Vostro system. I have left you a private message with some additional information. Do reply to me so that we can assist you further.

Regards,

Muntazir Patel

5 Posts

February 5th, 2020 23:00

@michaelmorton yes sir you are right and i also wondering, when the laptop is not plugged voice became incredibly low but never disappears even under the load but when plugged in voice increases, i am searching for almost all the reasons that could be happening but i think this is definitly a coil whine but different one, probably when connected the ac the cpu is increases the voltage or the something that it takes for the performance, and when this happens noise becomes loud, and thats why this is %100 hardware issue for me and can not be fixed right what with a software update.

5 Posts

February 13th, 2020 11:00

Hello again everyone, i just contacted dell support in my country and they gave me a new Vostro 5490 i7 mx250 i mean the same model and the issue still continues. I am not in a position to send it back and take a refund i need a laptop for work, but you should not get the same model for changing get i5 or another model this is probably a chronic problem with i7s

February 13th, 2020 13:00

Thanks for the update @Can1347 - sorry to hear the new PC has the same issue for you

This week, Dell also offered to send me a (permanent) replacement system, but I've requested a different system type with a similar or better specification, due to the issue being reported by so many users here with the 5490 (i7/mx250). I'll also report back with how it goes.

• 

25.7K Posts

February 20th, 2020 04:00

Hi, do share the service tag of the system you have received from the reseller so that we can assist you accordingly.

-Akshatha

15 Posts

February 26th, 2020 02:00

Dell completely took back my Vostro 5490 and refunded it for 100%. Now I have a Latitude 5401. The problem is solved for me. Thanks Dell. 

February 29th, 2020 02:00

Similar story for me, Dell exchanged my PC for a Latitude 7490, customer service was good. There is still slight coil whine when it is plugged in, but it is reduced compared to the Vostro, and not as noticeable.

1 Message

March 24th, 2020 16:00

Hi, I have the same issue. my laptop makes static noise all the time. As I read the previous comments, I can easily confirm all of them.

I bought my laptop without an OS, and installed Ubuntu 18.04 which is downloaded from DELL's Linux Support website. I thought it might be linux and bought a Windows 10 license and problem still continues.

What do you suggest? Should I return my laptop or is there a fix?

And I really wonder which part causes this problem

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

March 24th, 2020 16:00

Hi kutipense,

If you can with the help of customer support make sure it's not a software issue, then you could send it back so they can find out where the problem occurs. I'm not able to reset or send my laptop back. If you could do that if would be great.

1 Message

March 26th, 2020 09:00

Hello,

I have the same problem but on new Vostro 5590. I also have i7. 

1 Message

April 22nd, 2020 20:00

I have it too, it's fairly loud especially when the room is quiet. 

• 

25.7K Posts

April 23rd, 2020 05:00

Hi @rileybasil, thank you for writing to us. Can you confirm the BIOS version installed? Does this happen with and without the adapter connected?

Please private message us the system service tag so that we can check on this. ^AM

April 29th, 2020 09:00

I have this issue as well on my Vostro 5590. Very annoying.

1 Message

May 20th, 2020 01:00

Hi 

I have the same issue with vostro 5590 when the adapter is plugged in. It's very annoying please help. @DELL-Cares 

2 Posts

May 27th, 2020 15:00

Hi

any news about this issue? Just got my Vostro 5490 i7 today, but the noise is way too annoying. Should I just try to get a refund or ask for a replace?

No Events found!