Start a Conversation

Unsolved

V

2 Posts

May 25th, 2020 03:00

Laptop screen started flickering on movement of lid

My Dell Vostro 3558 laptop screen started flickering on movement of lid. When I connect the device to an external monitor display works fine. When I took the laptop to the service center, the technician replaced the screen with another test screen and no flickering was observed on any movement. He asked me to replace the screen. Should I replace the screen or check the cables connecting the LCD to the motherboard ? The product is not under warranty.

9 Legend

• 

12.3K Posts

May 25th, 2020 04:00

It sounds like a cable problem but in such an occurrence I would replace the screen and cable. Remember you stated that with the screen replaced the problem was gone so obviously the tech can only assume from his actions that the screen is the cause of the problem. If he reinstalled the original screen did the problem return? If so replace the cable and see if the problem is gone. If not then you have to believe the tech is correct in the diagnosis.

May 25th, 2020 21:00

The problem returned on reinstalling the screen. The technician did not replace the cable so, I don't know if the problem lies there. I brought the laptop home and run the display on an external monitor and use it as a desktop. Sometimes the display on the laptop comes back and then it goes automatically. I also ran the preboot diagnostics tool and display test on the laptop and no problem was detected. Cannot install the online support tool as the installation is failing repeatedly. Can I be sure that the problem i with cable and not with the screen ?

No Events found!