1 Copper

Vostro 3700 BIOS update failure

I have a Vostro 3700 running Windows 10. I checked the Dell support site for updates and found that it was recommended that I upgrade the BIOS. I downloaded the file and ran it. All seemed to be going well until the process was almost complete. The screen went blank, the fan speed went up and then nothing happened. I waited for ten minutes or so but, sadly, nothing now works. When I switch on the machine the lights cycle but then the machine turns off. The screen is blank with no Dell logo. Is there a way I can fix this? I am fairly knowledgeable about PCs.

I understand that the BIOS can be reflashed from a USB stick on some machines. Can I do this with the Vostro 3700?

Bill.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
3 Argentum

Re: Vostro 3700 BIOS update failure

I don't envy you at all with this but if the machine is effectively 'bricked' at this point then you have little to loose.

Dell have a page on BIOS recovery options for various products.

BIOS Recovery Options.

Good luck...

0 Kudos
1 Copper

Thank you very much.

Unfortunately, it looks like the Vostro 3700 does not have the feature. However, it does appear to access a USB stick when it's switched on so perhaps there's hope.

I later found this thread:

https://www.dell.com/community/General/Vostro-3500-BIOS-Update-Failed-Recovery-Procedure-Needed/td-p...

Some people have had success with the 3700 following the instructions but, so far, I have been unable to make it work for me.

I will keep trying.

Thanks again,

Bill.

0 Kudos
3 Argentum

That's a long thread but as you say, some are reporting success. Keep trying, and look for other methods as well.. 

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

0 Kudos
1 Copper

Hello, I am another unfortunate victim of the dreaded A12 bios update debacle.

I have followed every instruction, in every permutation, with no success.

Here's my configuration attempts so far:

1gb, Fat32, 4k sector formatted USB.
(with and without bootable mbr)
Just the .hdr file (renamed to winery70" for my 17" Vostro 3700)
The .hdr file + the "rom" file; then with the ".exe" package.

Inserted, separately, in the left front, left middle, right middle, and right back USB ports.

Held END key above number pad BEFORE inserting power on all 64 attempts.

Also tried holding the ESC and CTRL keys, because someone said it worked. (It doesn't.)

At one point, I unplugged the CMOS battery, and held down the power button to "dissipate any residual current in the system" in the hopes that would reset the BIOS. (Nope).

I even waved both a Disney magic wand and Potter friggin' twig-thingy a few times over it, and still no luck. (I was really hoping that would do the trick.)

Wish I knew what I'm doing wrong. 

Some posts (lots of other sites and threads) said they just plugged it in. No holding the END key. 

If anyone has a secret, I'd love to hear it. 

My next attempt may include the surgical use of a hammer.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I got it 🙂

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Hi, thanks for your posts. It help me to get an solution.

The new bios doesn't work for me. Than i used the 3700_A10.EXE and with

3700_A10.EXE /writeromfile and 3700_A10.EXE /writehdrfile in the comand shell, i got the two files

3700_a10.hdr and 3700_a10.rom. I renamed them to winery70.hdr and winery70.rom. I also made a copy of them with the name winery50.hdr and winery50.rom.

I copied the whole files (winery70.hdr, winery70.rom, winery50.hdr, winery50.rom, 3700_A10.EXE) to a Fat32 formated usb 2.0 stick.

With no accu and the usb stick inserted in the nearest left usb port i pressed the Ende key on a german layout and pluged the power cable in.

After that i get color on the display and i could flash the Rom again and every think works fine 😄

0 Kudos
1 Copper

Thanks a million MeuLog Copper (and all others)

After a serious battle with my Vostro 3700 I eventually got it fully operational again.

At first I have made many mistakes because everybody offers advice and I had to find the solution that will work for my model only. Briefly, this was my laptop's condition, folowed by what I have done:

PROBLEM: During BIOS update from A10 to A12 my machine just died midway through the process, and I could not get any action from the screen again.

THE FIX: I downloaded the new BIOS file 3700A12.exe and followed your advice of extracting the two files 3700a10.hdr and 3700a10.rom and renamed them to winery70.hdr and winery70.rom. This appeared to be the key to solving the problem, because I first renamed to other names I got from various sources which just stretched out my misery. The name "winery70" seems to be the only file name the Vostro 3700 will accept.

I have used the USB (formatted to Fat32) on the right at the back without any further problems.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
1 Copper

When attempting:

3700_A10.EXE /writehdrfile

it spawns the to pop-up:

Do you want this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device.

This looks like it is attempting to run the executable rather than creating the .hdr file. Same with .rom attempt.

Any advice would be welcome.

0 Kudos
1 Copper

it needs to execute becouse without you cant extract ,no flashing want start

0 Kudos